Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corsair H80i should I add...

I got a better look at the assembly, this url, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...-h80i-review/3 (same as the one above). There is a click to enlarge the photo (did not do it earlier). The radiator looks about one inch or one inch plus 'thick'. I do think those 'screw threads go the entire thickness of the radiator; but you can prove this easily by removing it and looking on the opposite side; maybe there is no hole there at all (the hole being a continuation of the front hole that now has the stripped threads.

In order to be clear, what I am looking at is the picture from the above 'bit-tech url', the picture enlarged by a 'click on' per the comment under the picture. I am looking at a chrome plated shiny screw (with a flat washer) going thru the lower left fan corner 'flange' (as one faces the fan from inside the case). The screw has no threads for about the first 3/4's of the screw length. The screw goes into a threaded hole in the radiator -- my suggestion as follows in the next para.

Remove the radiator / fan assembly. You need to look on the opposite side of the hole for the screw just described. In the enlarged picture of the fan/radiator, the side of the radiator appears to be 'stamped sheet metal' with an edge folded over that goes under the fan surface -- however, one cannot see in the picture 'what is really behind the fan regards the threaded hole -- so you need to take out the fan / radiator assembly and see the backside of the radiator to figure out what to do about the 'stripped threads'.

This comment I am not sure of but I will say it anyway. The side of the radiator does look like 'a stamped piece of sheet metal'. In a high production 'die stamping process' the metal surrounding the hole for the screw 'can be
    stretched a small amount in order to allow more 'thickness to the hole for threading purposes' -- this could explain the 'easy' stripping of threads in holes you refer too.

I suggest you try to figure out exactly what you are dealing with in the way of a 'stripped hole'. You are looking for a hole on the back side of the radiator identical to the front side but in line with the hole on the side the screw in the picture goes thru. I just want to know if there is a hole on the back side (hidden side) of the radiator -- if there is one there, I suggest you do not try to use it, just do another post and I can suggest the next step. (For your info: If there is a hole on the radiator back side that is in line with the screw thru the fan, it may or may not be usable -- I will have to explain so post back whether or not the hole is there and, if it is threaded or not.)

I apologize for the long post; I just want to be clear and be in agreement if you are going to follow these suggestions.
    Last edited by zburns; 07-07-2013 at 03:57 PM.

joenewbie,

I need to make an additional comment regards your last post and my post above. From your post:
    'maybe' there is room on the back of radiator (between the radiator and case) for a screw to stick thru and apply a lockwasher and nut."
    I mentioned in my last post that the side of the radiator is sheet metal and its edges with the holes, 'we both' refer to, are bent at a right angle. The holes the screws go into are 'extruded a small amount and threaded' or the holes have 'pressed' into them what is called a 'pem nut' -- either way you get about 3/32 " of threads.

My point (with this post) is if there is a front and back hole in the radiator that line up with the fan holes, it is 'doubtful' that the 'threads in the front hole' will line up with the 'threads in the back hole' -- this statement has to do with the manufacturing technique employed.

You can do a 'repair job', but you will probably violate the warranty on the radiator or the radiator housing; in lieu of this you can return it to Corsair. In any event, you should call them and tell them about the 'stripped' out threads and see if they will offer to exchange the radiator; you return the one with the stripped out holes, etc..

They in their instructions should warn you about 'stripped threads, etc'. As I implied you can do a so called field repair but the 'warranty flag' goes up, so I do not recommend that route.

Yeah that's why I'm gonna leave well enough alone on that. *grin* it's operating as intended and the screws are holding. I just dread having to take it off again because I know that's when I'll have issues with the screws again. Till then like I said leaving well enough alone... but I do plan on getting new screws if that day should come, just same thread type but about 1/8" longer.

As a follow up to this, I just went into the system today to add my data hard drive, while I was in there I changed out the stock fans on the case and the H80i, the fans I added were also Corsair, however they had these little rubber sound dampening grommets which left a little more give with the screws... and, upon inspection were just a tiny tiny tad slimmer than the stock fans. Suffice it to say the screws went in without a hitch, nothing was stripped, I was just turning screws to nowhere because they weren't able to reach thanks to the thicker, harder plastic fans.

Corsair needs to slim down the stock fans just a bit or increase the length of the screws. Either way, up and working flawlessly now.