Thread: Normal GPU Temperature

Default Normal GPU Temperature

I was wondering what normal temperature ranges were for GPU's loaded and unloaded. I have Geforce 9800 GTX and I just installed an overclocking utility called Dual Core Center I think it was made by MSI(I use it more for just monitor temp's than anything else). Anyway what I was worried about is that when I play crisis without any overclocking this utility warns me that my GPU is at to high of a temperature at 90ishC. I have just installed this utility and was playing the game on the same settings that I always have without any trouble and I thought without any heating problems. So I was wondering if this indeed is to high a temperature and should I install another fan? (I was under the impression that GPU's ran much hotter than CPU's normally which is why I am asking). Thanks!

That is very high - what brand is your card e.g. MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA etc.?

Try using nVidia's ntune to monitor your temps and fan speeds, as this is usually more accurate.
    Current Recommendations
    Budget Builds (~$500): http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1642
    High End Build (~$1300): http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=2382

That's a bit on the hot side.

I have used, and really like Rivatuner for overclocking Nvidia cards and contolling fan speeds. Just google Rivatuner. Its 3dguru or something like that.

the brand is EVGA. Thanks! I'll check out the software recommended. Guess I might need to look into extra cooling for the graphics card. When I was getting 90c it hadn't even been overclocked so that worries me a little bit. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. Just out of curiosity what temperatures should I be shooting for for idle and under load?

If its EVGA, then use their program called Precision. It was written by the same guy that created Rivatuner. You can read about it and download here.
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=48

If I'm just emailing or websurfing, I set my gpu fan speed to run at 45% and my card will maintain a steady temperature of 45 degrees C. When I game, I turn the fan speed up to 65 or 70% and my temps never go over 50 degrees.

I have an EVGA 8800GT Akimbo, and it is overclocked.

thanks for all your help guys. I am really digging both those programs you guys recommended.