PDA

View Full Version : Reusing old computer

Barrister73
01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
My girlfriend has an old computer that was top of the line in its day (seven years ago), but is little more than a word processor now. I recently bought a low-end Compaq that is much better and I have since improved upon.

I'd like to be able to take out all the add-ons from my computer, give her the stripped-down version, and build a new system. So, I plan on getting a motherboard that runs 240 pin RAM, PCI Express x16 Video, at least 5.1 audio. I'd like to do it as economically as possible with an eye on upgrading it in the future.

Any suggestions for an upgradeable build? I'd like to keep this computer for games now and, at some point in the future, as a media center with HDTV projector.

What, if anything, can I reuse from her old computer?

Thanks

RickyTick
01-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I can't imagine anything on a 7yr old computer worth saving.

jeanone
01-04-2008, 06:10 AM
I have harvested the 3.5" floppy disc player from 8 year old Compaq, and installed into newly assembled AMD-Asus-eVga-WD-CoolerMaster system.
I learned from Rob's 'How to build..." book.

You could re-use Hard disc but I have not attempted.

Barrister73
01-04-2008, 09:35 AM
So, not even reuse the case, power supply (assuming enough wattage), DVD drive and CD drive? I know they are old, and WILL be upgraded; I just want to delay as much of it as possible.

Jamie Nixx
01-04-2008, 09:36 AM
You can re-use the case, PSU ect, but the PSU will almost certainly not be good enough for todays hardware.