PDA

View Full Version : Something seems wrong

Spiffs
12-28-2007, 12:38 PM
hi,
um I was uploading windows XP and I partitioned my 500GB hard drive into C: 300GB and 200GB was free

the problem here is when everything was loaded, i checked My Computer for the hard drive, and all that was there is the C: 300GB ......... where did my other 200GB go?? :confused:

also I selected the C: for installing windows XP, if that had anything to do with it

- help
-- Phil

Amosmoses33
12-28-2007, 03:24 PM
its just sitting there waiting to be named to a new drive, but it want partitioned so its not created. some of the smart ones will know how to create a new partition. I only know how to do it when you are installing windows.

Spiffs
12-29-2007, 12:33 AM
I think I know how to partition it even further, but I was expecting it to become 2 drives after I partitioned it while installing windows XP.

I figured out how to view my hard drive space by going to 'Disk Management' and it says that approximately 300GB is under the C: drive (which is what I wanted), but the rest of it is just free or something and I don't know how to make it into a drive for storage.

does anyone know how to change that free space into another drive instead of having it there, just doing nothing?

Spiffs
12-29-2007, 12:39 AM
waittttt

I've figured it out now
:)

all I had to do was format it and partition it using the windows partition wizard

so it seems to be working right now and it's formatting as i type

never mind my previous comment then :)

acidfire
12-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Where can I find this windows partition wizard in windows xp? I have thought about doing this with my hard drive next time I reformat. The steps you did would help me out a lot.

Spiffs
12-30-2007, 05:45 PM
okay well,
first of all - I used windows XP service pack 2

This is basically what I did:

- When I had XP booting up, a screen comes up that asks if you want to make a partition, and I made one partition into 300GB as the C: drive and the other 200 GB was free space
- I selected to have XP install from the C: drive
- It automatically formats the partition that you install XP on
- once you go through the steps of installation and that stuff, you'll see the ordinary windows XP screen all ready for use
- (When I was at this step, I went to "my computer" to check my hard drive and it only showed my that I had C: 300GB, so I was worried about the other 200GB)
- from there I opened the "start" menu, and right-clicked on "my computer", then click on "manage"
- this shows you all your hardware and stuff like that
- once its open, click on "disk management" and it shows you your hard drive space and partitions
- on this screen, I saw my healthy C: 300GB and also I found my 200GB which was still free space and that's why it wasn't showing up on "my computer"
- so I right-clicked on the free space and selected "partition this space" or something like that, since this was the first time I was doing this on XP it had a pop-up that says partition wizard, and all you do is follow the steps it shows you to make it easier (once it starts to format it this will take like half an hour or possible longer)
- after it finished formatting, it showed up in "my computer" as the E: drive since my D: drive was taken by my DVD-burner

I'm not sure if you can partition a hard drive after you already installed windows XP using the steps I outlined.
These steps should be taken during the installation

I hope this was informative enough for you, and if you need more tips or clarity then just post back asking for it :)

-- Phil

acidfire
01-02-2008, 07:08 AM
I will be able to follow your directions :)
Thanks for the info.