PDA

View Full Version : Can you boot with dvd-rom (without floppy disc) ?

jeanone
12-27-2007, 10:23 PM
I have finally finished installing all the components except 3.5" floppy disc drive.
I do not have one new. I harvested from old computer (Compaq 1999) but does not fit in to Cool Master 380. I just left on the Light-on DVD player loosely.
Also, I can not find power connection fit into the floppy.

What's use of the floppy disc drive? I guess it is for 'booting'.

Can I boot the computer with DVD or Hard drive?

Please help me.

Grez
12-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Your case should have an FDD bracket for your floppy drive so that it will fit in the slot. The floppy drive is smaller so it will need this to fit in. You don't have to have a floppy drive to boot, but think it will need to be disabled in BIOS. There are two connections for the FDD, one is a 34-1 pin that should have come with the motherboard and it connects from the floppy to the motherboard. The power supply should have a connection to the floppy drive to power it.

You will need a dvd or cd drive to boot up the OS. If the hardrive isn't connected you can't get very far in the setup but it will do an initial boot to bios.

Spiffs
12-28-2007, 12:18 AM
I finished my build recently and booted windows XP using my DVD drive so it is possible, you just need it connected before going to BIOS and you have to set it to boot from the DVD drive in BIOS