PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive RAID Set Up Help

Batta
12-24-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm getting ready to build a new PC and am looking for some Hard Drive Set Up Help. I want to to have one hard drive in non-RAID dedicated to my Operating System and all my programs. I want to keep all my personal data (pictures, videos, financials, etc) on a different storage system and backed up. So, I'm thinking of getting two additional hard drives and configuring them in RAID 1. 3 Hard Drives, 1 non-RAID OS drive, 2 RAID 1 drives for storage.

How hard is it to configure this setup, fairly intuitive???

I do a lot of video editing with Adobe Premerie Elements, any problems trying to do this with a RAID 1 set of hard drives??

The Wise Monkey
12-25-2007, 04:10 AM
The RAID 1 set up will offer better data security, but will also suffer from a hit in performance as you will always be writing to two HDs instead of one.

Configuring RAID arrays isn't too difficult, just make sure you know what you need to be doing - check Wikipedia and things like that to fully understand what is going on.

Some BIOSs allow the creation/management of RAID arrays within the BIOS itself, so check your motherboard manual for any information.