PDA

View Full Version : AMD vs. Intel?

chunkylover53
12-24-2007, 09:52 AM
OK, I'm new and just gathering the components for my first build. I really want to do more video editing, but my current household machine is just not cutting it. I'm not likely to do much gaming. I'm not on a budget, but I'm also not quite MINO. I have been following Rob's advice on the MSPC site, and so far I only have a case (Antec Sonata III) and the memory (4GB Crucial Ballistix). Three big questions I have now that I have joined the forums:

1) I was all set to go AMD, but this forum seems strongly in favor of Intel. I'm a "bang for the buck" kind of guy. Is AMD that much worse?

2) The consensus from this forum group so far is Corsair vs. Crucial, but Rob swears by Crucial. Should I really return the Crucial memory?

3) I've been tracking prices, and the items I'm looking at (ex. ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition) do not seem to fluctuate much. I'm assuming that components are not like retail computers, where prices drop after the holidays, but I'm looking for this group's advice. Will waiting a few more weeks help at all, or should I just submit that Newegg wishlist I've been saving?

Good to be here, and thanks in advance!

Jamie Nixx
12-24-2007, 11:06 AM
You would have to be barmy to build an AMD based computer.

Intels new cores are so far ahead, AMD can no longer compete.

Its not worth it to send back the Crucial just to get the Corsair, just stick with what you have got.

gtrasi
12-25-2007, 03:11 AM
Well iam in 2 minds...cant decide on whch chipset to go for.
Either 680i sli
OR
P35 express.

In P35 express i hav P5k C or P5K E/wifi depending on price

while P5N32 SLI is the board to go for 680 i chipset.

however p35 Series from asus have solid state capacitors but lack 8phase power desgn and 680 i sli vice-versa.

hlp me choose plz!

Jamie Nixx
12-26-2007, 12:20 PM
P35.

Unless you are going to be using SLi, which i do not recommend, the P35 offers a lot more performance and it is newer.

chunkylover53
12-26-2007, 02:40 PM
OK, I'm an easy sell. So assuming I go with...

ASUS P5KC LGA 775 Intel P35 Motherboard
EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Western Digital Caviar 320GB SATA
LG Electronics Black LG Super Multi 18x SATA DVD
(already have the Antec Sontata III w/500W & 2GB Crucial RAM)

...do I need a separate CPU cooler, or will the cooler that comes with the processor be fine?

Jamie Nixx
12-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Ok looks good, one problem though, the PSU inside the Sonata has been in my experience and a few other members of this site, very unreliable.

I am not going to say it will blow up or anything but that is a meaty rig you are running so its something you should seriously consider upgrading soon, preferably to a Corsair HX520w.

You may or may not need another cooler, there have been a few stories about how the stock cooler can not adequately cool it, but thats only a few so you shouldn't need one.