PDA

View Full Version : Please build my next gaming rig...

MetalPCNoob
12-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of research into different parts for a gaming machine I want to put together. However, everytime I try to assemble a list I keep getting overwhelmed with choices and concerns of compatibility. And so, I'm asking that one of you gurus please help me with my future purchases.

GOAL: Flawless frapsing of massive online games, especially those still under development (i.e., Age of Conan or Warhammer Online). I'd like to be able to play with full settings on all of today's games, and be able to handle large scale online encounters with many players on the screen at once.

Obviously this all must take into consideration the game itself and it's capabilities, my internet connectivity, etc. But I think you understand what I'm looking for...a badass gaming machine.

I would also like this machine to have as long a life span that my current comp has had (going on 6 years now, still smooth with medium settings in online games -- unable to fraps).

BUDGET: $1000 - $1300

KNOWN WISHES: 4GB of RAM

Thank you so much for all of your help. I'd do this alone but I would definately screw something up along the way.

Jamie Nixx
12-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I'll price you a kickass gaming rig.

Few questions first.

Do you need the operating system as well?

Do you need the monitor as well?

What i mean is, is this budget solely for the computer?

MetalPCNoob
12-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks Jamie!

This is just for the system itself -- I already have the monitor, headset, keyboard and mouse, etc.

Please don't include the OS, I have a $100 Amazon gift card that I plan to use for XP Home Edition.

Jamie Nixx
12-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Ok dude here goes.

All prices are from newegg and i have only included the rebate for the memory and case because its a big one.

Asus P5KC P35 motherboard, $134.99.

Awesome motherboard, one of the very best, supports DDR2 and DDR3 memory for future upgradeability, also has the great P35 chipset.

EVGA 8800GT GPU, $289.99.

One of the greatest graphics cards ever made, will play Crysis on high and any other game on maximum settings.

Core 2 Duo E6750, $189.99.

Great CPU for gaming, although the Quad core is only $80 more.

Corsair XMS 4GB Ram, $94.00.

Excellent gaming memory, one of the very best available, criminally cheap, one thing i will say is that you should ONLY get 4GB of ram if your using a 64bit OS, i personally would go for 64 bit Vista, it is very good, if your using XP home get the 2GB kit instead, anything more than 2GB in a 32 bit OS will slow it down.

WD Caviar 320GB SATA Harddrive, $79.99.

Great harddrive and very reliable.

LG DVD/RW SATA, $28.99.

Great drive.

Corsair HX520w PSU, $129.99.

One of the best in the world, will power anything and its very reliable, modular and sleaved cables as well.

Antec 900 case, $79.99 after rebate, but its $59.99 if you use this Promo code EMCBCBJDF.

One of the best gaming cases around and at this price it really is one of the bargains of the year.

The total for this is $1007.93.

The Wise Monkey
12-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I'd go for the new 8800GTS actually - performs almost as well as an Ultra... :O

MetalPCNoob
12-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Thank you soooo much! A lot of those parts I recognize from previous research, so glad to hear I was at least thinking in the right direction.

One more question pertaining to the OS...I've seen mixed responses about Vista, about how it will be great in another 6 months but a lot of drivers need to play catch up in terms of compatibility. If I did XP Home Edition now, would I still be able to upgrade to Vista and get the benefit of my 4GB RAM (I would wait to upgrade the remaining 2GB when I purchase Vista right?)

Thanks again!

The Wise Monkey
12-23-2007, 08:23 AM
No 32-bit OS will be able to use the 4GB of RAM, Vista or otherwise. In order to use the full 4GB, you will need Vista 64-bit.

I have re-installed Vista after a long while, and I am pleasantly suprised with how much better it has gotten. There are still a few bugs, but that is only to be expected. Hopefully SP1 will fix the few things that are still an issue.

Jamie Nixx
12-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't bother going for the new GTS, its $100 more and it doesn't offer that big an increase over the GT, plus it uses a hell of a lot more power and it takes up 2 slots.

MetalPCNoob
12-23-2007, 12:49 PM
And what about a cooling system? Will that be necessary? I've seen it on most profiles.

Thanks,

Jamie Nixx
12-23-2007, 01:26 PM
The case i suggested for you, the Antec 900, is one of the best cooling cases in the world.

MikeJB
01-07-2008, 11:56 PM
I want to make basically the same computer you outlined, but I also need an OS with it. Which one should I get? All I know is that it should be 64 for the 4 GB RAM. Also, I have an old Dell computer that still technically runs, and I was wondering if it would be wasteful to buy a nice graphics card like the one in your build if I'll just be using my old Dell monitor. If so, I'd be willing to invest in a new monitor too.

Jamie Nixx
01-08-2008, 02:04 AM
How much do you have to spend Mike?

MikeJB
01-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Probably around $1300 or so. I could spend up to probably $1500 though, especially if a monitor is needed.

Jamie Nixx
01-09-2008, 12:29 AM
You should have started your own thread really ;)

Start your own thread, $1300 is fine i can price you a kickass gaming rig :D