PDA

View Full Version : Need Comparable quality pricing/list

jclaydon
12-19-2007, 10:28 PM
I was looking at dell computers a while back to see what a system that I would like would cost at a dealer. Here's what I came up with

http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?itemtype=CFG&s=dhs&l=en&cs=cadhs1&c=ca&&details=true

If anyone could give a comparible qaulity list/parts and what it would cost build myself, i would really appreciate it.

I don't really need the card reader, or the extra software *it was included with the system* at the moment.. The rest is pretty much what I was thinking of.

I was hoping for a budget of around $1000-1200 ideally.

take care,

-James

Jamie Nixx
12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Links not working!

And yeah i'll get straight on it for you, do you need the OS?

jclaydon
12-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Sorry it worked when i posted it.. *shrug* anyone i went and re-did everything, except for a few components that weren't there the first time.. Still came out to the same price.. I definately don't want to spend that much money tho... :)

"DELL XPS 420

Components
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition edit
MEMORY 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 320GB - Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
SECOND HARD DRIVE 320GB - Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
SOUND CARD Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music edit
GRAPHICS CARD 256MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GT edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
MONITOR 19 inch SE198WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor edit
Essentials
PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE Trend Micro Internet Security 15-months edit
MODEM AND WIRELESS No Modem Requested edit
ONLINE DATA STORAGE 10GB for 1 Year Online Data Backup by Dell DataSafe edit
FLOPPY DRIVE No Floppy Drive or Media Reader Included edit
WARRANTY 4Year Next Business Day Onsite/In Home Service, CompleteCare and Tech Support edit
Accessories
SPEAKERS No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) edit
MEDIA CENTER ENHANCEMENTS ATI Theater 650 PRO Combo TV Tuner with Remote and Xcelerator edit
KEYBOARD Dell USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
Mouse Dell Optical USB Mouse
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
Digitial Music No Digital Music Software Requested
Environmental Options Adobe Elements Studio for XPS™ 420

Starting From $2,418"

I also went to the radeon site and they said the 6500 will work with the 8800GT. so that problem is solved.

I also want to stick with XP until the service pack 1 comes out for vista, but yes I do need the OS..

thanks,

-James

jclaydon
12-20-2007, 09:58 AM
oops I changed the graphics card info myself because I wanted the 8800 i don't if its a 256mb card or a 512..

Jamie Nixx
12-20-2007, 10:18 AM
I am shocked at the price :eek:

Ok here goes my rig, which will be a lot better, all prices from newegg.

Asus P5KC motherboard, $135.99.
EVGA 8800GT, $289.99.
C2D Q6600, $279.99.
Corsair XMS2 2GB, $47.00 after rebate.
Corsair HX520w PSU, $129.99.
WD Caviar 500GB SATA Harddrive, $104.99
LG DVD/RW SATA Optical drive, $28.99.
Plus you already chose the case.
Windows XP, $89.99.

Grand total only including the rebate for the memory $1106.93.

And when i say this computer is better, i mean its better, Dell give you crappy Generic components which are not good quality, every single component in this system is branded with warranty.

Hope this helps.

RickyTick
12-20-2007, 05:08 PM
I agree with Jamie. You can build a KILLER rig for under $1500 USD.

But if you're not comfortable doing that, I understand.

If you want a Dell...fine. I've got 3 of them and they perform very well. The one you listed is bloated with things you don't need, and is overpriced.

The XPS420 is available for $899 right now and it comes with a Quad core Q6600 processor and 3gb of ram. Not too shabby. The only problem is that it comes with a crappy video card. But that's ok, because you can install a 8800gt later at a reasonable price. Forget about all those bells and whistles, just get the vanilla version and rock on.

Better yet, take a look at Dell's Outlet and get one much cheaper. Just remember, the Outlet computers don't come with monitors. But that's ok too, because you can buy a much better monitor from newegg or zipzoomfly much cheaper.

jclaydon
12-20-2007, 05:19 PM
I agree with Jamie. You can build a KILLER rig for under $1500 USD.

But if you're not comfortable doing that, I understand.

If you want a Dell...fine. I've got 3 of them and they perform very well. The one you listed is bloated with things you don't need, and is overpriced.

The XPS420 is available for $899 right now and it comes with a Quad core Q6600 processor and 3gb of ram. Not too shabby. The only problem is that it comes with a crappy video card. But that's ok, because you can install a 8800gt later at a reasonable price. Forget about all those bells and whistles, just get the vanilla version and rock on.

Better yet, take a look at Dell's Outlet and get one much cheaper. Just remember, the Outlet computers don't come with monitors. But that's ok too, because you can buy a much better monitor from newegg or zipzoomfly much cheaper.

I'm not looking to get a dell, I just wanted to give a reference point so I could get a similar quality machine and build it myself. I've got several friends who are watching me with great interest, if I pull this off then they'll let me build their systems. No pressure tho :D

The computers from Dell Canada always seem to be vastly over-priced.. maybe its cause I always pick the system that comes with the 4 year waruntee.. *shrug*

I'm going to go with the recommendations listed here. I'm not worried about the price because i'm going to be buying these components one at a time, over the next six months.

thanks again for all the help Jamie, i REALLY appreciate it.. I'll keep everyone updated when i have everything I need..

-James

Jamie Nixx
12-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Well each individual component i listed comes with at least a 3 year warranty.

The CPU comes with 3 years warranty as does the motherboard.

The memory comes with a lifetime warranty.

The PSU comes with 5 years warranty and so does the HD.

And the GPU comes with a 10 year warranty.

So your ok if anything goes wrong.

Good luck with the future build.

RickyTick
12-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Oh ok. I misunderstood. Dude, I thought you were getting a Dell.:D Good for you.

One thing I would caution you on. Buying components one at a time over a long period could be a problem. Let's say you put the pc together and have a bad stick of ram (not uncommon). If you bought the ram 4 months ago, the vendor might not take it back. Ram might be cheap, but what if its a motherboard or video card? You could buy the case and psu and maybe a couple of other things now, but I'd wait and buy all the "guts" just before the actual build date.

Best of luck.

jclaydon
12-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Well I actually thought about that, but the corsair memory has a lifetime waruntee, and all I need initially to get everything working is a case, a power supply, motherboard, memory, and the processor.

I've bought the memory already.. I have a case I can use until i buy the new one, when I buy the power supply all I have to do is plug it in to see if it works. Then I'll save up for two or three months and buy the motherboard and processor together and install the old optical and hardrive from my broken computer. Once I've verified that everything works the way its supposed to , its just a question of adding each new component when I can afford them.
-

take care,

James

ronniebee
12-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Here's a list of excellent prices:

http://www.magicmicro.com/

Click on BAREBONES then INTEL or AMD to pull up individual component prices.

No I do not work for Magic Micro, but they did a great job setting up my Base PC so I could finish it on my own.

See my post for my system http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=871