PDA

View Full Version : On Board Sound - only one channel

subbu68
12-19-2007, 01:39 AM
I used Intel DG33BU Mobo for my PC. It has Realtek AL888 on-board sound card with rear and front port.

The rear speaker port worked fine with the speakers on our LCD monitor. But the sound being weak I was using the front port with a set of old powered speakers for a week or so. At the same time disconnected the monitor speaker connections.

Yesterday when I got new speakers I connected it to the rear port and found that only the Left channel gave the sound. The Right channel gives a crackling and a feeble Modem like sound while booting up and a constant hiss and nothing more. The volume control or balance control has no effect on the sound from Right. The sound is constant hiss till I switch off the PC.

I uninstalled the driver and installed from Intel CD as well as the latest from Realtek site. I also tried disabling in BIOS the onboard sound and again installed from the start. Still the same. The front port is working fine.

Any clue about it

Thanks in advance
Subbu

subbu68
12-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Strange, strange, strange...

Just with the power switch of the power outlet ON it gives the hiss in the right channel of rear audio port. The PC is not ON from the it's power switch.

Should I replace the PSU? Or is it some 'leak' to the on-board audio?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. Perhaps everyone is planning his holidays???

Subbu

subbu68
12-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Did anyone get an answer to my problem???

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE.

SUBBU

The Wise Monkey
12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
It sounds as if the connection is slightly dodgy between the rear port and the speakers. Have you got some headphones that you could use to try and see if it is a problem with the port? i.e. plug them in and see if you get the same problem.

subbu68
12-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Everything I know I have tried.

As the first step traced the grounding. Even changed the power socket to another one.

Updated the driver for Realtek.

Tried a headphone.

Removed the PCI modem, disconnected second HDD, DVD drive, webcam.

Plugged in a spare PSU too with just the Mobo and the C drive connected.

After every attempt I hopefully restart the PC only to get a hiss and crackle from Right channel. I hear the mouse wheel moving, PC booting up and seeking HDD and what not. It is like a stethoscope giving all the internal sounds of our body. Except the requried sound I get all others. And the sound remains until I switch off the wall socket.

Only thing left to do is reformat and load Vista again.

The thing is it was working for sometime before it came to this situation.

Thanks
Subbu

The Wise Monkey
12-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Its probably a problem with the hardware rather than the software. You could always buy a separate soundcard for about $30 and then use that instead. :)

subbu68
12-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, for me it is not a serious problem as I do not use the PC for gaming or watching movies. But not happy that my first built has such a problem and wouldn't want to leave it unresolved. Front port works fine.

I have put the problem to Intel.

I never thought it would be a pain to seek solution from them. I posted the problem on website. Then came an email asking for more details. Told the whole story to one Paul from Tech Support. Then he came on to say my problem has been sent to a wrong support unit. He rerouted my email to one Rob in the UK. Rob's email came with an attachment to be filled in. I have now sent it and waiting.

Subbu

The Wise Monkey
12-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Good luck! :)

Valiantclan
02-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I had that same problem with my first build. It would get a hum at full volume too. I finally discovered that when I went into the master volume controls and started muting each separate vu control, I had cut down on the feedback from inside my system. It almost made me crazy trying to figure it out. So far as one channel not working, that sounds like the amp driver on the channel. Probably a transistor.