PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP won't install

springcanyon
12-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Greetings,

I have put together a potentially good computer by using Rob's book, using the "cookbook" method. It appears that all the hardware is working, but so far I'm unable to install Windows XP. It goes as far as writing files to the HD and then hangs with a message that says. "Setup cannot copy the files: Kodak_dc.icm." If I make it skip this file and continue writing it continues to find files it "cannot copy."

I have a copy of Windows XP on a earlier disk that I installed on my old computer and I tried to install that on the "super PC" and it would install part way and then hang with various error messages.

I went back and checked all the bios settings and set them per the ASUS manual. I still have the same problems.:confused:

I am using the ASUS P5N-E SLI MOBO, Intel core 2 duo, and brand new Windows Home edition. If anyone has any suggestions I would certainly appreciate the help.:)

Thanks,
Don Owens

The Wise Monkey
12-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Your CD could be scratched or just dirty - give it a good clean with some proper CD cleaner and try again.

springcanyon
12-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. It is a new CD, just out of the box and looks perfect, but I'll try a cleaning.

I had trouble following Rob's BIOS settings as he was using a different mobo, even though the one I'm using was on his list of mobos to use. So, I wonder if I have some setting incorrect enough to cause instability? I'm suspious of the voltage settings. I just left that "as is."

Don Owens