PDA

View Full Version : Router Help

I_Love_Me
12-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Well, I figure this forum is as good of a place to post as any, so I hope I can get some help.

I am currently using cox high speed internet - problem is we have multiple computers and have to 'share' the internet cord. So, the natural thing to do is install a router. Thing is, I can't get it to work.

Routers should be easy to install, but for some reason this bastard won't connect. It's a Netgear (rangemax 240 - model wpnt834). Like most routers, you plug it in, start it up, and it tries to automatically detect what kind of internet I'm using. It comes up and says "static IP address detected." (Cox high speed uses DHCP I thought?). Even when I find the IP address/subnet mask/gateway/DNS servers and use those manually, it doesn't work. When I configure the router to dynamically trace IP address, it doesn't work. One time it detected a DHCP internet connection, but still didn't work? What am I supposed to do?

BTW, we've tried hooking up a Linksys router as well and it wouldn't connect.

I'm at a loss. Tried everything I can think of and can't get it to work. Any help would be appreciated (though I'm not sure I really expect anyone to know :rolleyes: )

The Wise Monkey
12-11-2007, 06:15 AM
It sounds like its a problem with Cox's settings - check out their website for tech support, or give them a call. They should be able to help you more than we can. :)

kagomeghe
08-04-2008, 01:54 AM
hello!

-- what is the operating system of your computer?
-- is this working fine before or is this a brand new router

you may try this and see if this help solve your problem. make sure your computer is directly connected to the router

Step 1: Shutdown the computer.
Step 2: reset the router while power on then Unplug the router’s power cable.
Step 3: Unplug the Broadband modem’s power cable and wait for 30 seconds.
Step 4: Plug in the Broadband modem’s power cable and wait for its lights to appear stable.
Step 5: Plug in the router's power cable once the modem’s lights appear stable.
Step 6: Power on the computer on and configure the router settings
Step 7: test the Internet connection.

if this still didnot work, upgrade the firmware of your router and repeat the same steps.

note:

configuring the router settings will depends who is your provider. if your isp is dsl you need to configure your ISP username (email address format) and password on the router. if your router is a cable no need to change any settings on the router. it should automatically work

RickyTick
08-04-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm suspicious.