PDA

View Full Version : Network Config Question

ronniebee
12-10-2007, 12:16 AM
System Specs here: http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=871

Here's my present setup: I have a 4 port hard-wired Linksis.

Port 1. My son has his computer on #1, seperate from mine, so he cannot get to mine, and I cannot access his. (that's the way we like it).

Port 2. is my old system [The Beehive], (now my wife's.)

Port 3. will be for my new [The Queen Bee] system.

Port 4. Cannot be used for some strange reason?

Here is what I want to do: Have duplex access from Ports 2 & 3, while still excluding Port 1. One of my co-workers said he thought I could use a USB 2.0 or a null modem serial cable to connect the two computers. He says Win-XP will recognize the connection and go into network setup mode. Is he correct? Is there a better way to do this?

Ronnie Bee

The Wise Monkey
12-10-2007, 06:00 AM
So... you want to be able to share files between your old and new computers, while keeping them separate from your son's computer?

ronniebee
12-11-2007, 12:29 AM
So... you want to be able to share files between your old and new computers, while keeping them separate from your son's computer?

Yes, WM
That's the Idea, so do you know if it will work?
Ronnie Bee

The Wise Monkey
12-11-2007, 06:12 AM
What you need to do is get yourself a crossover cable -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=crossover&x=0&y=0

Any of these will do. This allows you to connect directly between two computers using the network points.

Is this the kind of thing you had in mind?

ronniebee
12-12-2007, 10:09 PM
WM,
Sorry, it took me awhile to get back because I have to keep swapping computers until I get my network going on THE QUEEN BEE. My net connect will not recognize my internal GB lan card, so I got to get back into CMOS and see if the switches are set correctly.

What you say sounds like it will work, but cant I do the same thing with a USB 2.0 or firewire cable? This will only be temporary, as I have decided to keep all 3 PCs seperate.

Thanks
Ronnie Bee

The Wise Monkey
12-13-2007, 10:13 AM
I don't know about transferring via USB - never tried it myself, but there is no reason why it shouldn't work. Same with firewire, I guess.

Do you have a separate network card, or are you using the built in one?