PDA

View Full Version : Asking for advice

The Prop Guy
12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Hello
Thank you for reading my posting.
I am a newbie to this and I wish to build a new computer that is SLI based. My goals in this new system is for Gaming and Video editing. I have NEVER built a system before. Please remember that.

This is the components I have picked so far for my system.

Processor - 1 x Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 / 3 GHz ( 1333 MHz ) - LGA775 Socket - L2 8 MB
BFG Technologies Nvidia nForce 680i SLI Socket 775 Intel ATX Motherboard
BFG Technologies GeForce 8800 Ultra OC Video Card, PCIe, 768MB GDDR3
Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card
Corsair Memory Xtreme Performance TwinX Matched 2GB( 2 x 1 GB ) PC2-6400 800MHz 240 pin DDR2 DIMM Memory Kit
Zalman USA CNPS7700-Cu CPU Fan for 478, Socket 775
Zalman USA ZM-F1 80mm Brushless Case Fan
Sony 20x Multi-Format DVD+/-RW Burner, Internal, ATA
Sony 20x Multi-Format DVD+/-RW Burner, Internal, ATA
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB Hard Drive 7200RPM, Internal, 16MB Cache, SATA-300
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive 7200RPM, Internal, 16MB Cache, SATA/300
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive 7200RPM, Internal, 16MB Cache, SATA/300
Pinnacle Systems Studio MovieBox Plus, USB
Thermaltake Toughpower 850 Watt ATX Internal Power Supply Unit
Antec Nine Hundred ATX Ultimate Gamer Tower Case, No Power Supply
Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard
Kensington Mouse-In-A-Box Optical Mouse, USB, PS/2
CompUSA 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive, 3.5 inch, Internal, 34 pin IDC
Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 by Microsoft (PC)
Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus by Corel
Norton 360 All-in-One Security by Symantec
Office Professional 2007 by Microsoft
Rumblepad 2 Vibration Feedback USB Gamepad by Logitech
PCmover Kit with Cable by AvanQuest
Photoshop Elements 5.0 Plus Premiere Elements 3.0 by Adobe

Here are my concerns.
I am worried that building this new system will NOT be just Plug and Play. I am concerned that once I install the Mobo, Video & Sound Card, that I will have to do some MAJOR MANUAL configuring. I am concerned that the Software disks provided will NOT just automatically set up on my system. That once I load in the drivers for the Video, Sound Cards, Hard Drives and so forth will WON'T just PLUG AND PLAY. I fear I will need to go into the BIOS and set all that stuff manually. I HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THAT BEFORE.

Are my fears correct?

Can I just "Plug and Play" all the hardware and let the CD ROMs set up my system.

Am I biting off more than I can chew by wanting to build it myself?

The reason I want to build it myself is two fold. 1. The current crop of computer manufactures do not offer what I want at a price I can afford. 2. Frankly, Its a pride thing. To say I did it myself and learn something in the process. But I don't want to learn the lesson that I went OVER BOARD and get so stuck that I can't build it and I have to run off to COMP USA or the GEEK Squad and get raped by what they would charge me to build my computer.

I am not ready to do any Overclocking or tweeking UNTIL I have a better understanding of what I am doing BEFORE I attempt such a thing.

I just want to build this monster First, get it working well and then Learn from there.

If reading this you feel that ANY of my chosen componets are are wrong PLEASE suggest alternatives...

THANK YOU ALL
For your help

RickyTick
12-09-2007, 10:28 PM
WOW :eek:

Monster is the correct description. Thats a killer system. A bit overboard for my tastes.

Unless you're going to SLI later, the P35 is a better choice in motherboards. Personally, I think SLI is a waste.

I didn't care for the mouse you listed, but that's kind of a personal preference. Logitech MX518 mouse is terrific.

Can't wait to see what Jamie and Wise Monkey have to say. :D

Jamie Nixx
12-10-2007, 03:15 AM
Bring your head to my foot now :rolleyes: :D

Firstly, SLi sucks, i am an SLi veteran, i know more about it than most and i review it for websites so you should listen to these words, IT SUCKS.

SLi is expensive, it doesn't offer a good enough performance boost for the amount of money, it is hard to configure and i mean if your a noob like you say you are your going to have no chance with it, so leave SLi, always stick with ONE card.

Now the graphics card, the 8800 Ultra is basically an overclocked GTX, and it costs $200 more, its not worth it, personally i would wait for the 9800GTS thats due soon, it will cost more or less the same as an Ultra and will totally obliterate it in performance.

CPU, the QX CPU's are good, but their price to performance ratio isn't very good, i would also wait until the next Quarter to get the new 45nm Penryn Quad cores, they are going to be awesome but they will also be priced great as well.

In terms of motherboards, P35 or X38 is the way to go, the Intel chipset is just so much better than Nvidia, the P35 is even better than Nvidias newest chipset the 780i.

The memory is good ;)

Case is good ;)

PSU is good ;)

All Harddrives are good, but the CPU cooler isn't very good.

This is what will happen once/if you build your computer and there are no hiccups.

Build computer

First boot, check temps, configure the Bios, make sure everything has been recognised e.g HD, Ram ect, should take no more than 15 minutes.

You then set the boot order to boot from your optical drive, put windows CD in, reboot it will then ask you to format the HD, this will take hours, it will then install Windows, this takes about 30 minutes, you have to do some slight configurations like setting keyboard layout, choosing the name for comp, keycode ect.

Once this is done, you will have to install the motherboard drivers, graphics card drivers, any other drivers you may need, if your using Vista it will automatically install all the newest drivers for you, reboot a hundred times and hey presto you have one fully working PC.

The Bios is easy, just read the manual and you will be fine, honestly when i am building a computer takes me about a minute in the Bios to configure it for my liking, its a piece of cake and if you get stuck we are here to help you out.

Building computers really is EASY, the hardest thing it learning what components are the best and all the different timings and clock speeds of them ect.

You would never need to overclock on a build such as this, so don't even mention it, thats a whole different ball game.

If you want my verdict on this build, don't bother with it, wait until the new 9800GTS is out and wait for the new Quads, these will be out soon and you could have so much more for your money, you could even save yourself a lot in the process.

If you can't wait, let me price you an alternative computer that will cost a lot less and won't be that far behind in terms of performance.