PDA

View Full Version : Build audio editing pc

shortkut77
12-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Update:

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor
Samsung SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA

Will this be fast enough for audio processing?

I want to build a computer for audio production and editing, but I'm not sure how to proceed or what parts to buy. I'm on a budget of around $1k but that is flexible. I am using Reason, Live, Soundforge and Cubase. I know I want a dual core pentium processor and a mobo with slots for at least 4gb ram. I need a lot of usb ports and at least one firewire. Quieter is better due to the fact that it is for audio production. A great video card is not important, as I'm not a gamer, but obviously a great soundcard is necessary. I also need two internal HDs, one of which will be dedicated exclusively to running the audio programs. I guess my biggest issue is understanding what is overkill for my purposes vs what isn't, as well as what parts are compatible with one another. I just want a really really fast computer with a great soundcard. Any recommendations?

shortkut77
12-20-2007, 03:26 PM
bump

Jamie Nixx
12-20-2007, 03:52 PM
The Quad core is good, should come in handy when editing.

Abit are very hard boards to configure and i don't recommend them, personally i would change that board for an Asus P5KC which is a much better board and offers the best upgradeabilty.

Sound card wise, Creative make some of the best sound cards available.

Onto Memory, you need high performance memory for any type of editing machine, you can get 4GB of Corsair XMS2 (i use it in my gaming computers) for about $100, its some of the best memory available.

If you don't game but still want a fairly meaty card then go for a 8600GT.

You will need a good PSU for a system like this and seeing as how you edit audio i reckon a silent case wold be best for you.

I'll have a look around and see what i can come up with for the case but for the PSU you should be looking at the Corsair HX520w, not cheap but it is silent and it is one of the best around, you need quality for the PSU, its the most important component.

Right, all prices are from newegg.

Asus P5KC Motherboard, $129.99.
Q6600, $279.99.
Corsair XMS 4GB kit, $94.00 after rebate.
XFX 8600GT, $127.99.
Corsair HX520w PSU, $129.99.

Samsung spinpoint 500GB, $104.99.

Now onto the most important thing in your operation :D, the sound card.

This is probably one of the best on the planet.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty, $114.99 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102014

I'll post a case when i have found a decent one.