PDA

View Full Version : Different computer shutdown problem

sethmcc
12-06-2007, 05:00 PM
So, I built my computer, and everything is now running great except for one small problem: I tell Windows to turn off, and it shuts down, the monitor goes black, but the power doesn't actually shut off to the computer (the fans and everything are still running). I have to manually push the power button the front to get it to turn off. Any ideas what could be causing that? I did have the APCI power functions disabled in bios when I installed windows because I was getting weird errors when I was doing the install, and was messing with different bios settings to try to get it to work. I have since enabled the power management function, but still have the shutdown problem.

MSI K9N SLI Platinum mobo
Athlon X2 5600+
WD Caviar SATA2 500GB drive
GeForce 8800GTS video

Thanks,
Seth

The Wise Monkey
12-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Hmm, that is kinda weird. Try running a repair on your Windows installation - do you know how to do this?

sethmcc
12-06-2007, 07:29 PM
I know how to repair the windows installation, but will it work if I have Service Pack 2 installed, but my Windows XP CD doesn't have any service packs?

The Wise Monkey
12-07-2007, 05:30 AM
Yeah, it should do, but you should slipstream SP2 into your XP installation - check this website out for how to do it:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

sethmcc
12-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Doing the Windows repair worked. Thanks for the help.

- Seth

The Wise Monkey
12-09-2007, 09:34 AM
No worries - glad you got it sorted. :)