PDA

View Full Version : Best configuration for Overclocking

bk12321kb
12-06-2007, 03:54 PM
I have the following items in my build. Can you tell me which configuration is the best for Overclocking? I don't know much overclocking. I read in this and other forums but I feel it risky to experiment with little knowledge.

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6750 (2.66 GHz with 1333 MHz FSB)
Memory: 2GB of Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Mobo: XFX nForce 680i LT SLI ready Mobo (FSB 1333 MHz)

Thanks much
BK

The Wise Monkey
12-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Ok, I have basically the same components as you, but with a Gigabyte P35 board instead.

I posted a guide to overclocking somewhere in this forum - check the stickied thread. :)

Basically, you can tweak the processor to 3.2GHz without increasing the voltage - I have mine running at that now. I suggest you get an aftermarket CPU fan though - the Arctic Freezer 7 is the best bang-for-buck at the moment.

I've never been a big fan of overclocking RAM, but its definitely possible. Your motherboard will probably have some default RAM settings that don't match the specs of your RAM. Download CPU-Z and run it to see if the RAM specs are what you expect. For example, my motherboard has default RAM timings of 5-5-5-15, but the RAM I have can run at 4-4-4-12, so I just adjusted the timings in the BIOS.

One piece of advice I can definitely give is to not go too overboard - you really don't want to risk damaging your components. :)