PDA

View Full Version : OS

iiiprimeiii
12-04-2007, 11:27 PM
mac os or a windows os. i like mac os but is their any downfalls to it. which one is better???

The Wise Monkey
12-05-2007, 05:21 AM
Hmm, I hate these kind of questions. I argue that all OSs are such excellent pieces of coding that they are all fantastic, and its just up to personal preference.

If you are going to get a Mac though, why are you on a PC building forum? You can't exactly build a Mac yourself...

iiiprimeiii
12-05-2007, 09:13 AM
really i didnt know if it was different comp all together or just the operating system. they use intel chips and so do computers with a windows os. how can it be any different to build??

The Wise Monkey
12-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Unlike universal OSs like Windows and Linux, Mac won't just run straight away on any computer - this forces people to buy from Apple if they want to use MacOS. However, you can create your own "Hackintosh" i.e. a PC that is capable of running MacOS, but it involves obtaining and hacking a copy of the MacOS operating system, which I won't tell you how to do. If you do decide to do this, be prepared to experience difficulties with drivers e.g. no sound, poor video etc, as MacOS only supports "Apple approved" hardware.

Having done it myself, though, it definitely works once you have ironed out the kinks. :D

iiiprimeiii
12-05-2007, 08:43 PM
guess ill just stick with xp sounds difficult and tedious:confused:

The Wise Monkey
12-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Its really up to you. I recommend that you try MacOS at some point, as it is very good.

iiiprimeiii
12-06-2007, 11:18 AM
it is good at school we have apple computers or gateways with vista and i hate vista. the mac os they got on their is awesome though i like it alot.

The Wise Monkey
12-06-2007, 03:59 PM
It is very good, I will admit that.

In the end, you could settle for the best of everything - I now dual boot Ubuntu and, yes, Vista, on my PC, plus I have a MacBook as well. :D

jclaydon
12-15-2007, 12:03 PM
I thought that the new macs use the Intel chipset now, so I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible, except maybe if it didn't have the proper drivers..

Of course, I know practically zip about hardware, so its highly probably that I'm wrong.. :D

take care,

-James