PDA

View Full Version : non ecc and ecc

bgd6728
12-04-2007, 06:55 PM
hello all, my first post.
I have built my own pc since 99, and forget more than I learned all the way back to newb state. :confused:

ok.. I am looking to upgrade my dual channel mode 1gb (512x2) kingston with two more 512mb ddr "400" (pc3200). cpuz id shows unregistered and unbuffered simple kingston ram (kvr if I remember correctly).2 @512mb already in a functioning dual channel mode. It can take 2 more. I am only assuming, with my book for mb buried someplace that the unregistered part means non-ecc memory is of good choice to purchase. Is this correct? and thanks for reply.

I do have a reason for all this ram and it involves upgrading my video towards HD editing, and 1gb was buried for the first time ever for me personally, as well as a 20 gb partition. :eek: I tried playing an 8mbit 1280x720 in high def and *choked* like an overheating 233 :D

The Wise Monkey
12-05-2007, 05:55 AM
If you are going to be doing lots of video editing, you should probably head towards 4GB of RAM, to be honest with you!

Yeah, unbufferred==non-ecc afaik.

bgd6728
12-05-2007, 05:16 PM
hey thanks. I did remember after awhile what the board was made of, and what it needed. I am limited to 2gb at 400 (200) mhz but at 333 and at
pc2100 I can go to 4 gb. (The msi 6728 platinum board). Given I am just getting to outgrow ram, I still am in awe of the dual cores and big numbers. I do not want to scrap it all just yet.to further my confidence in my current "old" pc (I never thought I would say it after only two years, given the slow down of pc's and big leaps of engineering), this photo proved what I was after:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/soob87/memry_bwidthphot.jpg

if it is one thing I have learned since 233mhz days.. big numbers mean jack squat if the chips you have are not working together precisely. The photo proves what I am truly after, and that it should work tightly and precision.Even the software is of my common use.Thanks again for reply..

oh, this is my pc and would love some advice from those that moved on with similar purpose:

msi6728 platinum (very large mobo!) 12x12 inches? something like that...
wd hdd with 8mb and 7200 (very low latency) and no sata has ever been hooked up even tho an option.
2x512 kvr (cheap pair of twins, and want two more just like it)
dvd writer
cd player
msi ati graphic 128mb (5500se ?) fanless! :)
3 fans cooling the whole thing with reverse cooling and an xp 90 sitting on top of the 2.8e 1mb intel cpu.
all fans are very quiet, max rpm is cpu at 2100. Always full speed ahead, and only slow down is when cache starts happening (of course) and it has to resort to the hard drive.
over all it is a very very quiet pc and my thinking time and quality when programming is a big "finally." (I do not even want to tell you about my past hot rod pc's)
if to upgrade, what is a favorite route after where i am and what I want to do?

The Wise Monkey
12-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Ok, I'm slightly confused... what was your question? :)