PDA

View Full Version : Computer Shutdown Problem

robeward
12-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Hello all,
I recently finished putting together my computer and for a while everything seemed to work fine. It is only a few months old. Recently I noticed that sometimes I would cut my computer on, leave the room and come back and it would be off. Sometimes I would do some work on it, leave and when I got back it would be off.

Finally now I was sitting at my computer, my mouse became non responsive for a couple seconds and my computer just shut down. No message or sign of anything.

Trying to get some suggestions as to what it might be. So...
It is brand new with all new parts bought from newegg.(can give a list if needed)

It just recently started doing this. Even though it is only a few months old it has had time to start acting up before this.

I am positive I am not kicking my power chord or something like that. It isn't a surge protector, already took care of that.

Don't get any message when it reboots.

Could it be overheating or should I get a message from that? This one doesn't make since though b/c it has run all night before with no problem.

Don't think it is a program although not 100% sure.

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The Wise Monkey
12-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Use a program such as Core Temp to check the temperatures of the CPU and the motherboard.

What components do you have?

Jamie Nixx
12-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Sounds like its overheating, your computer will automtically shut off if the temp threshold is exceeded.

robeward
12-02-2007, 11:29 AM
New egg wishlist
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6986908

Also have an EVGA 7900 GS KO graphics card and a Sony optical drive.

Jamie Nixx
12-02-2007, 11:56 AM
You didn't replace the thermal paste on the stock fan did you?

And have you checked your temps yet?

robeward
12-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Yes I replaced the thermal paste.

Just ran the temp check. Sitting at idle core 0 seems to be around 24 deg C and core 1 seems to be around 25 deg C. Just ran the Solid Works program. Did some pretty heavy stuff on it. Got the core temps to go up to the mid 30's but when I stopped within a minute they moved back down to the mid 20's.

robeward
12-02-2007, 05:30 PM
The only variable that I could find that might have something to do with it it some software that goes to my wireless keyboard and mouse. When I first built my computer I never had any problems like that. I didn't like the way I partitioned my hard drive so I restored my computer. After that I forgot to put the software back on. The keyboard is plug and play but I noticed I had trouble keeping caps locks on even with the correct bios setting.

All that said I put the drivers on and haven't had any problems yet. Time will tell. Not sure if this is a plausible reason or not but its the only thing I could come up with.

Thanks for the help though!

Jamie Nixx
12-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Is your computer rebooting or is it turning off completely?

robeward
12-03-2007, 09:20 AM
It is just turning off. No reboot.