PDA

View Full Version : Vista Again

Dizz
11-30-2007, 08:55 AM
I am getting allot of flak over buying one computer that has Vista OS on it. My reasoning was Vista is inevitably going to be the "new" OS and with time (possibly a year?) it will take over for XP. It took me a couple of months, but if you are doing nothing but Email, Microsoft Office, and PDF files Vista works dandy and I like it.

Am I making that up? Or once Vista has all bugs/known driver issues, it WILL take over XP. Or does it look as if XP will continue to stay on the market for good?

Looking at the long term, and would love to rub some noses in the dirt. I have found no links discussing Vista problems outside a previous link on this discussion board.

Thanks!

The Wise Monkey
11-30-2007, 09:33 AM
I installed Vista on my old PC when it first came out, and I must say that it was perfectly OK, to begin with. My first problem came before I even installed it - my anti-virus program didn't support Vista, so I had to remove it before I could upgrade, along with several other programs that weren't compatible.

From there, things got worse. I had no printer drivers, no wireless internet drivers, poor keyboard drivers, poor graphics drivers.... real driver issues. Plus, I was getting about 50FPS less in games than I was with XP. In the end, what really decided it for me was when I tried to dual-boot with Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu after Vista, which was the wrong way around, and it caused all my Vista drivers to go haywire.

So I formatted my HD completely, and re-installed XP. :)

The reason XP is still around, and will stick around for a good time yet, is because it works. Well. As soon as you install it, basically. I have only had a few issues with it since I re-installed it, and I hack my system about all the time. I have had one BSOD compared to the four I managed in the 6 months I had Vista.

I have been considering upgrading to Vista Ultimate, but I am still not convinced by its support for my applications - I really don't want to have to re-install everything again. I might wait until SP1 is released sometime next year, but until then, I am very happy with XP. :)

Dizz
11-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Ouch!

I do not think I would want to try and upgrade from XP to Vista. I have just read too much on it with the driver issues and existing systems.

The computers I buy for work are typically pre-fab built. This particular machine I bought was Dell with Vista already loaded and working.

Apparently the new SP1 for Vista is going to be available open beta sometime in December with a full release first quarter of next year. By that time SP3 for XP will be released or soon to.

The only thing I am reading that is the major point of contention is how much XP outperforms Vista in speed. Am I reading that right?

Otherwise, for soley work computer use, it seems to be fine.....or I might be making !@#$ up as I go along. :D

Jamie Nixx
11-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Vista is a major system hog, the drivers still don't support it well and in games its still not very good.

It is getting better though.

Dizz
11-30-2007, 10:36 AM
So in the long run, would you folks keep Vista? Or put that on the back burner until a year or so when Vista has worked out all the kinks?

My problem is they are wanting to install XP onto this pre-fab'd computer that was built with Vista. It will not void the warranty, but it seems pretty useless to do this if it works great. (Other than people not having the new Microsoft Office, but you can down load a program that converts them to later versions)

Jamie Nixx
11-30-2007, 11:10 AM
For the long run Vista, the only reason i don't use it is because i am a gamer, and Vista isn't kind to games at the moment.

Dizz
11-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks again guys. :)

And Jamie, wife hasn't killed me yet for my 1500$US system. Of course, she has not seen the cost on paper yet. TEEHEE! :D

Jamie Nixx
11-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I still haven't recovered from my last build.........Women can do unspeakable things when pushed :eek: ;) :D

The Wise Monkey
12-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Woo, I've just upgraded from XP to Vista... again...

I'm actually pleasantly suprised at how well it is performing so far. Ok, so even when idling it takes up 35% of my memory, but its still pretty good.

Had a few teething problems though:

1. Had to get new drivers for GFX card and Sound card, but that is only to be expected
2. On first boot it failed to recognise my other HD. :O However, it picked it up fine after a restart.
3. I cannot remove some programs that I have realised that I do not need any more, because the installers can only be run in XP... :/
4. I had to uninstall a few programs to create enough room to actually install Vista, including Bioshock - had to say goodbye to my 100% files... :(

On a more positive note, all my programs work fine, although I've almost run out of room already on my Windows partition already, hence the program pruning.

Looks nice too. :D

The Wise Monkey
12-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Right, if I have User Account Control turned on, I cannot access my second HD... :S

So that's turned off now. XD