PDA

View Full Version : First Boot-No Beeps, No Video

ballard23
11-28-2007, 01:51 PM
I just completed the build of a new system but upon power up I do not hear any beeps and there is no video. The configuration is as follows:

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64x2 6000+ Dual Core
Sonata3 Case
Zalman CNPS9500 Cooler
Crucial 1024mb PC@ 8500 memory (2 sticks)
EVGA 8600GTS 256mb video card

When turning on the power switch on the back of the Sonata case the mobo power light turns on, I then depress the power button on the front of the case and the fans for the case, cooler, power supply, and video card all are working. But there are no beeps from the internal speaker and there is no video.

I have cycled the memory sticks (using just one at a time) and the results are the same. I have completely removed the video card and memory sticks and upon restarting there are still no beeps. I have removed the cooler and inspected the processor for bent pins, everything looks good. I have refreshed the cmos memory via the jumper settings but no change. The system is still not emitting any beeps and there is still no video (monitor is known good). One question, is the beep that is supposed to be generated upon power up coming from a speaker in the case?

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could try next.

Thanks in advance,
-cb

Amosmoses33
11-30-2007, 08:41 AM
yes, it would come from speaker in the case. im not sure what to tell ya, the smart ones will be along shortly. I know ive heard alot of probs about that cooler you have. I have the intel version of that board and i had problem getting the ram right, but i got error beeps and you're not getting anything.

The Wise Monkey
11-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Does you graphics card have a fan/heatsink on it? If so, check to see if it is spinning - it may not be getting any/enough power.

ballard23
11-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Yes, the EVGA 8600GTS video card does have a heat sink and fan, the fan is running upon power up.

On the ASUS web site there seems to be a lot of discussion around memory sticks causing problems. Some users believe that if the memory is too fast it causes problems, they recommend installing a slower memory stick initially to allow you to get the system up and then go into the BIOS and adjust it to work with faster memory. I'm using Crucial 1024mb PC@ 8500 memory sticks. I have not tried the slower memory suggestion yet.

I have tried moving the memory throughout all the slots but no difference. I have also taken the mobo out of the case (to ensure no shorts), installed all the cabling, and powered back up but the results are the same. I pried open the front of the case to check the speaker connections, they look to be ok, although the connection on the speaker is encapsulated.

Rob
11-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Does it appear to be working, except that you're not getting a beep? Or is it clear that it's getting hung up and that's why it's not beeping. I have seen a case where there was no beep but everything was working.

ballard23
11-30-2007, 03:19 PM
I would say that I don't have enough experience/knowledge to understand if the system is essentially working but not generating a beep. I will say that it is clearly not providng a video output as my monitor is known good.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Rob
11-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Since you're not getting anything on the monitor and can't enter the BIOS, it sounds like there is a problem.

I think you've tried everything I know to do, short of swapping out components. The problem could be anywhere unfortunatley, the power supply, memory modules, processor, video card, and so on. I don't know that any component is more likely than another to be the problem.

If you don't have any spare compatible components you can try swapping then you may want to take it to a local PC technician to have it diagnosed.

I'm sorry I don't have any better advice. I'd be interested in knowing how this all turns out.

ballard23
12-02-2007, 07:06 PM
So after spending more money on slower memory, a different video card, and a 650 watt power supply the problem still remained. I got fed up and returned the mobo. They checked the mobo out at the store (Fry's) and confirmed it was defective. I went home, powered up the new mobo and it does what it's supposed to! Very unfortunate that I had to spend so much time and money troubleshooting a problem which was caused by a brand new mobo.

All's well that ends well. I'll post a new email if I have any more questions. Thanks for your support.

The Wise Monkey
12-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Thats really unlucky.

Ah well, glad you got it sorted out.

Rob
12-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah, bad break. But way to stick with it! And thanks for keeping us updated! Your experience will help others.