PDA

View Full Version : Building my first PC, could do with a little info.

Audiokatz
11-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Hi.

I'm considering upgrading/building a new PC. I use a computer for music making applications primarily so ram and processor speeds are important to me.

My current machine is as follows:

P4. 2.8 gig, 1 gig ram ( using 2 sticks of 512 DDR SDRAM )

I have a Maxtor 250 gig HD ( master ) and a Seagate 60 gig HD, both formatted to NTFS.

My Graphic cards currently broken

I'm using an Audiophile 24/96 sound card.

I think that's the relevant specs?

So I was thinking of getting a new mobo and processor and RAM. ( what I'm considering is the Intel Quad Core2 Quad Pro 6600 2.4Ghz )

Haven't made a decision on a mobo yet but have been looking at an ASUS P5k Deluxe WiFi DDR2. ( I don't know what WiFi is )

So to build my new PC here's the things I would like to know about.

1. Do I need a new HD, or will I be able to use the 2 I have now?

2. Will I need a new PSU? I have no idea whether the one in this machine will power the new components or not, all I know at this moment is that it has a max output capacity of 250w

3. Will I need a new case to build the new PC? Obviously I could use the one I have now and I have another spare as well but I have no clue as to whether I need a new one.

Apart from a new graphics card, is there anything else that I would actually need to upgrade, or does it just look like a new mobo, processor and ram?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help regarding this.

[edit] Oh, forgot to mention. I am also unsure about the importance of the quality of the graphics card for music making applications. I am not a gamer or anything but I'd like something that doesn't take any power from anything but itself and provides the necessary graphics without anything that I'd never be using.

Jamie Nixx
11-28-2007, 07:34 AM
For music editing i doubt you will need a hefty graphics card, only Video intensive editing applications would need one.

The Q6600 would serve you pretty well for what you would use if for so thats a thumbs up.

The Asus P5K Deluxe WiFI is a very very good motherboard, but it is used primarily as a gaming board so may be slightly overkill.

The WiFI means that it already has a wireless adapter built into the motherboard so if you are using a wireless router you don't need to use the USB dongle that comes with it, and because the dongle on this jacks directly into the motherboard its easier to setup and has a much better quality signal.

You will need a new PSU.

What size is the case you are currently using? Normal Motherboards come in two different flavours, Micro ATX and ATX, the Asus P5K is an ATX board.

There are also Micro ATX and ATX cases.

Audiokatz
11-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Cheers for the reply.

The size of the case, hmm, I'm not too up on the differences to be honest, to me it just looks like a standard case 14" high, 15" deep ( with cover attached ) and 7" wide. The PC was a bought one some 5-6 yrs ago.

Are there set sizes for cases and certain mobos and processors?

Re: the motherboard, I wont be needing the WiFi then, but I'm definitely looking at an ASUS of some model, ideally something that has enough RAM slots to future-proof me for a while but I don't know anything about this. I was also looking at the ASUS P5K ( INTEL P35, 1333 DDR2 PCI-EX - I have no idea what the rest of this bracketed info means, or its relevance actually )

So I'd need a new PSU? See I have no idea about this either, how would I know what to buy?

I'm a bit stumped on the graphics card too, I'm guessing I could skimp a bit here then, do they all run themselves though, I wouldn't like for the processor to be powering the graphics?

Thanks.

Jamie Nixx
11-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Whats your budget, i'll price your rig for you.

Audiokatz
11-28-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure how much I'm going to spend yet. I could spend more if I build it over time, ie: buy this and that from 1 week to the next.

If you could mention a few components though, that'll be great. I think I'm looking at a mobo, a processor, ram and maybe a PSU right? Oh and a graphic card of some descroption.

Did you have any thoughts re: my current case?

PhilGSmith
11-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Don't forget that motherboard only uses DDR3 memory that costs an arm and a leg.

The P5KC handles DDR2 and DDR3 - The one you reccomended to me Jamie !

Audiokatz
11-28-2007, 11:00 AM
DDR3?

The 2 I mentioned here says DDR2 in the description, so thst doesn't mean it uses that ram type then?

LOL, I'm totally confused then now, what does it have to say for it to mean it uses DDR2?

Jamie Nixx
11-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Going by your measurements for the case it is highly likely that it is Micro ATX case, which means you will either have to get a new case, or change the motherboard, any chance you can take a pic so i can be sure?

Since you don't game, changing the motherboard is easy, because if you go for a different one you won't notice the difference.

Yeah remembered Phil, i reckon he will need a micro ATX anyway so thats the P5 series out the window.

Ok parts, well...

Q6600 CPU
undecided on mobo
Seeing as how Corsair is so criminally cheap, Corsair XMS 2GB.
GPU, something like a 7900GS will do fine, you can even use it for gaming if it takes your fancy anytime :D

I'll get back to you with another mobo and PSU.

Jamie Nixx
11-28-2007, 11:06 AM
DDR3 is a new faster set of speeds for Ram, its is HUGELY expensive.
Stick with DDR2.

Audiokatz
11-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Well I did want to stick with DDR2, but PhilGSmith said the only RAM the mobos I suggested use DDR3.

I don't get that because I listed the mobo type and they both have DDR2 next to the name.

PhilGSmith
11-29-2007, 06:21 AM
OK I see the difference.

I was thinking of the Asus P5K3 Deluxe WiFi AP, which has DDR3 only, the Asus P5K Deluxe WiFI is slightly different. Sorry about that.

I just bought the Asus P5KC which handles both DDR2 and DDR3. I am putting DDR2 in now while cheap, and when the DDR3 drops in price then I will change the DDR2 for DDR3.