PDA

View Full Version : PW Button On-No Activity

tumbleweed357
01-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Rob
I built my 1st PC last yr using your instructions. Thanks! It has been fabulous.
Approx 5 months ago the power supply went kaplut. When PW button was pressed nothing happened. New power supply and I was on my way.
Now I have(or I thought I had) the same problem again. Same results when I push the button in. Bought another new power supply and the same results. However there is only one small thing that is different than the 1st time. After oh say about 5 minutes I push the button on the front the blue leds will very, very briefly light up and go back off. I'm talking quick--in the microseconds here. But if I press the button again, or again, the blue leds won't even do that. I must wait about 5 minutes or longer. What should I be zeroing in on? The PIN 1/PIN 2? Could something there have worked loose? I hope it isn't the motherboard! Anything would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Rob
01-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the good words. You're right to suspect the power supply, although it's not the only suspect. Other good suspects are the motherboard and power connectors. Here are some thoughts:

Are you using a high-quality power supply that is plenty beefy? Do you have a demanding rig?

Check for a loose connection between the power switch and the motherboard. Are there any LED's or other lights on the motherboard and, if so, are they working? If they are then probably the motherboard and power supply are ok and it's a loose connection.

Try holding the power button in for ten seconds, releasing, and then pressing it again as you normally would to turn it on.

What happens if you press the reset button? I'm guessing nothing but it's worth a push.

You can test the power switch by shorting the pins on the motherboard for the power switch. If the computer powers on, then you know it's the power switch or the connection from the power switch to the motherboard that's the problem. You can short the pins with anything conductive. Maybe strip some wire to the copper and hold it by the wire still covered with insulation, something like that.

Hope that helps!

tumbleweed357
01-29-2007, 09:16 PM
The original power supply was an Antec 450W. And I replaced it with another Antec 450W when the original died. Now I have replaced that with an Antec 550W. So I'm sure it's beefy enough.

I would say my rig is not very demanding and has handled aptly anything I've wanted it to do. It's AMD based with one graphics card. But it is extremely dependable--by far than any retail purchase I have ever experienced! And there are no LEDs on the motherboard, just on the front of the case. The small reset button does nothing. I'll try the 10 sec hold in Power Switch out and see what happens.

Sounds like from your tips I should be able to home in and totally eliminate the Power Switch/pins..etc. I really appreciate you getting back so quickly. When I get off work in the a.m. and catch a few hrs sleep I'll get back on it!
Thanks again Rob. Take care.

tumbleweed357
01-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Rob
I did your tips. Power Button: With VOM meter I measured one of the pins and it was +3.28V not +3.5V like the manual states. Thought it odd but continued on. Verified no voltage drop across the Push Button. One wire of course had the +3.28V and the other wire, when pushed, had +3.28V! Next I shorted both pins together and the blue LEDs briefly lit, then back off--just as if the Push Button was pressed. Concluded the Push Button, wires, and pins were in good shape.

Next I began removing/unplugging nearly everything, one at a time, and attempted to power it back on with the idea of maybe something is shorting out. CPU fan, graphics card, modem, sound card, etc. Nothing.

Well I decided before I condemned the motherboard I'd bring that new Power Supply back and ask them to test it for me figuring the odds of a brand new Power Supply are very low that it's bad, and with a 2nd new one it's next to impossible. They couldn't test it. So I exchanged it for a 650W Antec.
The PC worked! How about that? A bad NEW Power Supply! Now I'm back in business!
Thanks so very much for the help!

Oh, one more thing and it has nothing to do with this. Back when I was building this PC with your book in hand, at the 1st boot attempt, I had a heck of a time trying to get that tell-tale beep! To make a long story short the Logitech laser mouse/keyboard was the culprit. I purchased a cheap
$9.99 generic keyboard & mouse with PS2 plugs and I got that beep! Turned out the wireless Logitech couldn't work properly unless the drivers were loaded, which was impossible since there was no hard drive installed at that step of your manual! Perhaps in the future you may mention in your guide something along these lines, "To prevent maybe a potential 1st boot up problem, go purchase a generic PS2 keyboard & mouse from your nearest super-center and use it until the driver installation
section!" I've been meaning to let you know this but haven't gotten around to it! Thanks a million!

Rob
01-30-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm glad to see it all worked out. Very nice job troubleshooting. Way to stick with it.

And thanks for the comment about the first boot beep. I'll check into an update for the web page and book.