PDA

View Full Version : So close, yet so far.

I_Love_Me
11-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Alright, well I got to the first boot stage of PC assembly! Awesome, right? Well it is, except I am having a little difficulty with the first boot. Couldn't find too much with search, so I'll post..

I am following Rob's PC assembly instructions, meaning that I currently have mobo/RAM/CPU and CPU cooler/video card/power supply in the case. I have not even opened up my hard drive or media drives at this point. My first power up, screen came up displaying some settings and such (after load screen) and I thought "success!" After about 10-15 seconds, though, the computer shut off.

So I try again. Now when I boot the computer up, I get a message along these lines: DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. The load screens come up first and everything looks good, but this screen comes up (it's black and these words are in the top left). Then, after another 10-15 seconds, the computer will shut off.

The power supply fan/video card fan/CPU fan are all spinning. Any help would be appreciated!!

Jamie Nixx
11-20-2007, 10:48 AM
When you turn on the computer did you keep pressing delete?

You have to press delete to enter the setup so keep tapping it until you do.

I_Love_Me
11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the quick response man.

After clearing the CMOS, the "disk boot failure" page no longer comes up, but computer does still shut off on its own after 15-20 seconds.

I pressed delete and got into the settings page, but once again, it just shuts off pretty quickly after getting to that area.

I'm pretty sure I connected everything correctly and I know my fans are running. BTW, I do get one beep on startup, indicating "goodness." So I'm at a loss as to what to do :(

Jamie Nixx
11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Sounds like the CPU is overheating. Check the cooler.

I_Love_Me
11-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Checked it and rechecked it. I'm using the stock fan/cooler with the Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Processor. It is mounted over the processor and plugs directly into the motherboard where it is supposed to.

It does seem like symptoms indicate a CPU cooler malfunction, though. I definitely don't want to wait/spend money (lol) on a new cooler, so anything else you can think of would be appreciated.

Thanks again

I_Love_Me
11-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, I took the fan off and reconnected it, and when I booted the PC back up it stayed on for like 20 extra seconds. I guess this confirms that it's the CPU overheating, which sucks. Hopefully I'll be able to finagle it around in a way that will allow operation. Otherwise, I guess I should buy some kind of paste to put on the fan?

JasonG
11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
You didn't remove the compound that Intel put on the heatsink did you?

I_Love_Me
11-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Nope, still there. Should I buy some thermal paste to apply to it? Especially since I have removed the fan/heatsink and reapplied it.

I_Love_Me
11-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Update:

Well I decided to go buy some Antec Formula 5 coolant compound from my local electronics store and try that instead of the wax that comes with the CPU. Cleaned all of the wax from my CPU and heatsink and applied the Formula 5 compound, then reinstalled everything again. Bingo! The system now comes up and stays up (well, I had it up for like 5 minutes...hopefully it can sustain longer usage).

Thanks to those that offered help and I will try to use the search function a little better next time :P

Jamie Nixx
11-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Meh, i knew the CPU was overheating :D ;)