PDA

View Full Version : This is my first build, please verify

bk12321kb
11-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Hello friends,
I am trying to build my first desktop. I have gone through this website, and it's awesome. Can somebody please verify if the components I selected are good and worth the money I put for them. I am trying to build a low-fi, no frills desktop. I am not very much interested in gaming. So trying to build an intermediate one which can be upgradeable at a later time.

My components are:
1. Computer Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail ($50)

2. Power Supply: COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply - Retail ($85)

3. CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor ($195)

4. MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 ATX Intel Motherboard ($178)

5. Memory: Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory ($50)

6. DVD Drive: ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T ($40)

7. Video card: EVGA GeForce 8500GT 512-P2-N747-LR Video Card ($80)

8. Hard disk: Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM ($105)

9. Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech Cordless Desktop S510 Keyboard and Mouse Combo ($40)

10. OS: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM ($112)

So these are the components I am trying to buy. It costs me around $935 to build this thing. Please verify all the components.. Is it worth the money?

Thanks
BK

Jamie Nixx
11-19-2007, 04:20 PM
I'll be honest with you mate, that setup is very very overkill if your not gaming.

All of the parts you chose (bar graphics card) are gaming components.

bk12321kb
11-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Hi,
Thanks much for replying.

How about going for these two things here?
THERMALTAKE Wing RS 101 VG8000BNS Mid Tower Case ($31)
Antec earthwatts EA430 ATX12V v2.0 430W Power Supply ($40)

I am not sure on MOBO, do I have to change that too? What's your take if it has to be a different one?

Thanks much
BK

Jamie Nixx
11-19-2007, 05:12 PM
I would change both the motherboard and CPU.

Since your not gaming, it really won't make any difference as to the chipset ect, so just make sure you choose a motherboard that is socket 775, supports DDR2 memory and has a PCIe slot for the graphics card.

As for the CPU, choose something like an E2140 or something like that, still fast enough for everything even mild gaming plus you will save yourself a load of money.

Jamie Nixx
11-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Never buy a $40 PSU, no matter what setup you are running, minimum spent on one should be $70 and branded from a reputable manufacturer.

CPU's come with their own HSF.

You only need case fans if your running performance or gaming machines, if you are running onboard graphics and one HD you don't need any case fans.

Jamie Nixx
11-20-2007, 04:40 AM
It not odd, its common sense, the only components that generate a lot of heat are graphics cards and the old Pentium CPU's.

If your running onboard graphics and one HD, you don't need fans

Here is what you said and i quote 'Also, don't forget about fans. I have bought a Coolmaster case before and it did come with a few fans, but I needed to install a few extra.'

So are you suggesting he should put 6 fans in his computer? :D

For the system he is likely to build, he would only need, if any, one fan, one at the back of the case acting as an exhaust.

I know the importance of a cooling system, i have a lot of gaming and normal computers, i also know what is overkill and what is not.

Jamie Nixx
11-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Its just about understanding how different components generate different heat.

For example a pentium 4 will run at 50 or 60 DegC on stock cooling whereas a Core 2 Duo will run at 30DegC on stock, you just have to identify what components or different types of components generate what heat and base the cooling on that.

The guy you built a computer for was a jerk, if he felt the need to open up the computer and mess about with it, its his fault, period, he shouldn't be getting angry with you.

All the PC's i build for people come with a 3 year warranty, even for friends and family, that warranty is void however if they open up the case, that way i know if the computer failing was down to me or down to them messing about.

I use water cooling in a couple of my computers, expensive but awesome, no noise either :D

Jamie Nixx
11-24-2007, 03:42 PM
I gave it a try a couple of years ago, i milled out the copper CPU block and everything, it was sweet, i still have it lying around somewhere :rolleyes: