PDA

View Full Version : Memory Upgrade Problem

mlpilcer
03-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I want to upgrade my machine to 2gigs of memory. I have four memory slots. Prior I had 2 512mb sticks and my machine was running fine. I purchased 2 more 512mb sticks which are exactly the same has the ones I used to have. When I put the new sticks in the machine will turn on but nothing displays on the monitor. Now I cant even get the machine to work with the original two sticks in there original positions. Any ideas? Thanks.

DemonicDerek
03-05-2007, 05:40 PM
First try consulting the instructions you got with your RAM sticks. Then try different slot configurations. I might also LOOK at your BIOS settings and see if anything looks odd. However don't do anything to your BIOS unless you know what it is your doing to it. (I just don't want you to yell at me for making you break your computer).

Rob
03-05-2007, 08:23 PM
My guess would be that you don't have the original modules seated properly back in the module slots. Are you being careful about static electricity?
http://www.mysuperpc.com/pmu/dimm_memory_upgrade_tutorial_antistatic.shtml

DemonicDerek
03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Good point static electricty = death for computer componets.

mlpilcer
03-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Well I played around with the locations of the memory and it still wont boot. The machine will turn on, all fans run, it looks to boot to the floppy by making a noise, I can open and close the Cd-Rom, but it does not show anything on the screen. Here are my idea about what could be wrong let me know what you guys think:

Video Card is Blown
Memory is Blown - (all four sticks?)
Motherboard is blown to a certain degree.

daryls61
03-31-2007, 06:59 PM
I would check the owners manual for your motherboard. You can download them from the maunfacture website. Memory modules need to be in a certain order for motherboards to recognize them.

If you have them in correctly and in proper order I would try just using only the 2 new memory sticks and see if you can get the PC to boot. If it does not boot with only the new memory sticks in, the memory is bad.