PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP

PhilGSmith
11-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Quick question.

I have Windows XP Home edition that has service pack 1 on it and is about 4 years old.

Do I stick with it, as tried and tested, and spend the hours loading SP2 on top of it.

Or, buy another copy of XP Home with SP2 included ( seems a bit of a waste) but others might say loading the old version and layering SP2 on top can cause problems better to get a new one with it already installed.

Or something completely different.

Was thinking of VISTA, but, my gut feel is to run with something thats been tried and tested rather than be the guinea pig for Vista. Plus is there really that great a gain for me to move from XP to Vista at the moment ?

The Wise Monkey
11-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Not really - I'm still using XP at the moment, but I might consider Vista soon. Its only eye-candy really.

You should definitely install SP2 as it contains important security stuff - your computer is at risk otherwise.

PhilGSmith
11-19-2007, 02:59 AM
The link is for this file, Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers, file name WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe. It says If you're updating just one computer, please visit Windows Update. So did that but you can't download a file for burning, it only lets you update. Therefore downloaded WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe. I suppose the "Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers" just made me wonder whether it was the right one.

I assume it doesn't matter that my version is Windows XP Home. Just trying to cross the t's and dot the i's :D

PhilGSmith
11-20-2007, 03:05 AM
Thank you.