PDA

View Full Version : Second Build-Your Opinion

dmethoxibit
11-18-2007, 03:54 AM
Ultra Black Full Tower Aluminus Case
Ultra X3 1600 watt modular power supply
Intel Quadcore Extreme Yorkfield XE 3.0 GHZ 12 mb cache socket 775
Ultra Chilteck Thermoelectric CPU cooler(or acrtic freezer pro 7)
EVGA 680i SLI mobo
2 Seagate Barracuda 500 gb, 16 mb cache, S-ATA 2 HDD(to run in raid 0)
Creative Labs X-Fi Extreme Fatality Platinum
4 gb OCZ SLI-READY pc6400 dual channel 800 mhz RAM
Plextor PX-240A 52x32x52 Int. IDE CDRW
AOpen COM5232PA DVD-ROM Combo Drive - 52x32x CD-R/RW, 16x DVD-ROM
2 EVGA Geforce 8800 GT SSC Edition
Vista Ultimate 32 bit edition + windows xp pro with service pack 2 32 bit edition

Im not holding back on this and money is not an object. if u have any suggestions for upgrading or know of any parts or somehting i dont have then let me know. ill be using it for extreme gaming and pro audio creation(and a ton of other small stuff)thank you!!!!!!!!!!(im actually gonna through with this lol) and i think i might wait a bit for the new 780 mobos coming out and the geforce 9800

The Wise Monkey
11-18-2007, 05:06 AM
Hmm, money really isn't an object... XD

Thats a killer rig and will kick apart most others available at the moment. Only think I would recommend is getting Corsair RAM instead of OCZ as it is slightly better imo. Also, if you are running 32-bit OSs, you won't be able to use all 4GB of memory. Switch to 64-bit Vista/XP to keep the amount of memory.

Let us know what your 3DMark scores are when you eventually get this beast up and running.

Jamie Nixx
11-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Lol is this a joke :rolleyes: :D

Ok firstly, 1600w PSU, you don't need that much power, period, trophy gamers such as Fatal1ty and Fugger don't even have PSU's with as high a wattage as those, and neither do i for that matter.

Nvidia haven't released adequate drivers with SLi support for the 8800GT's so they either won't work when SLi is enabled or you will get poor 3DMark scores and games won't run.

Sorry to say but for a rig that is supposed to be used for extreme gaming, the rig you posted would not play Crysis maxed out on DX10.

As for the memory, that memory would seriously bottleneck the rest of those components and as WM said, 32 bit OS would only recognise just over 3 GB and would slow your computer down so you need a 64bit one.

I doubt you would need to overclock with the major overkill CPU you chose ;) so stick with stock or just get the cheaper Arctic freezer pro.

If you want my 2 cents.

Wait until the new quad cores are released, the performance to cost ratio of the Intel extreme CPU's is ridiculous.

Wait until the 9 series cards are released, always opt for one card, never go for two, even if they represent a good performance return for the money (aka 8800GT's) you will pull your hair out just learning how to configure them right.

If you want an extreme computer, you have to have an X38 chipset board, something like the Asus maximus formula SE.

Power wise go for a Corsair, Seasonic, Tagan or Enermax, the Ultra PSU's are good but these are the best.

Wait a bit longer and build then, you will get better components for your money and you will save some as well.

Saying money is no option ect is all well and good but blowing a load of it now on the best just to find in two months your comouter is pretty average isn't a very good feeling, trust me i know ;)

Hope this helps.

dmethoxibit
11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
ok so ive decided to wait for the 9800 and some kind of new chipset and stick with a thousand watt power supply :). thank you jn and wm and rw for all your help

Jamie Nixx
11-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Still overkill r.e PSU but i am the same, i love power :D

The new quads are going to be sweet, so wait for them as well.

Also, having now used the X38 chipset, don't bother, wait for X48 or get a really good P35 chipset board.

dmethoxibit
11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
yeah im gonna wait for the new quad cores (who really needs the extreme one?) but im defenitelty sticking with the Ultra Chilltec its so sweet! i hope the x48 is worth waiting for... cause i hate waiting lol.
but i also want this build to last a long time, till like unreal tournament 2016 lol, so i dont want to skimp at all

Jamie Nixx
11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
One thing you have to understand is that you should spend as little as possible for your needs on the initial build, don't skimp on quality ect, but don't go overboard.

The money you save can be used to go into the upgrade costs when/if they arrive.