PDA

View Full Version : Random hangs?

davidcl
11-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi.

I know this is hard to solve especially if you don't own the pc but maybe I can get some ideas. Using mysuperpc.com I was able to build a nice pc but over time it has been randomly hanging. First it was with the power saver option in WinXP with having the monitor turning off after 5 minutes. The monitor would turn off but once I turned it back on it would display "No Signal" and the computer would not come back. To solve this I set the power options to be always on. Now every so often the mouse will hang then the keyboard is non responsive and I have to reboot. Any possible solutions?

I'm running:

WinXP SP2
MSI K9N SLI Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX
MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400PHU1-1GBNR X 4

I have all the latest drivers for each hardware even the monitor from Acer. I've also installed everything from Windows Update.

Thank you for help you can provide. This is the first pc I've built and I'm not sure what could be happening.

davidcl
11-18-2007, 10:52 PM
After doing some research I noticed I had the nForce IDE controller driver installed so I have since un-installed that as per Rob's advice. Also, I noticed that there is a nForce PCI system mangament device manager. Now I have a two PCI cards installed in my machine: my GeForce 8600GTS and my sound card the "SIIG IC-510012 5.1 Channels 16-bit PCI Interface SoundWave 5.1 PCI Surround Sound Card." Also, it says that there is no driver installed for it, yet it lists a driver? Could there be conflicts with this? I notice the problem happens when ever the screen saver comes on or the power saving option comes on and now that I think about it I do have music playing.

Please help. :(

davidcl
11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Looking into this further because I know there is something seriously wrong I went to see if there were any conflicts. As I can remember, this problem seemed to arise after installing my sound card and disabling the on board audio. I noticed that the Video Card PCI-E and the Audio Card PCI use IRQ 17. Is this a problem? The device manager says there are no conflicts. Please help.

Jamie Nixx
11-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Hmm, could be the CPU overheating or it could be the Nvidia driver has an error.

Check your temps using core temp and download an older driver for your card, remember to uninstall the previous drivers.