PDA

View Full Version : Porting OS and data from old to new computer

ralphf926
11-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Now that my new computer is built and running, is there a best way to take what I had on my old computer and install on my new computer. Here's my current situation on old computer: 150gb WD raptor drive that contains Windows XP Pro and some application software (32gb for OS, remainder of drive unallocated), 200gb WD drive divided into 4 partitions containing music, pictures and applications. On my new computer I have 160gb WD drive containing Windows XP Pro. Not much else on this computer but the OS and IE7.0 since all I've done with this computer is check out my new build. I'd like to end up with all 3 drives on the new machine and XP Pro running on the raptor drive. I did install the raptor drive on new computer and booted but XP gave me blue screen of death. I thought it was worth a try. I also installed the 200 gb drive on new machine and XP had no problem recognizing the folders and files. So it looks like my question boils down to how do I get XP Pro on raptor drive on new machine. Can I save anything or do I need to do a new install? In general, does installing a new motherboard usually require a reinstall of the OS.

Thanks, Ralph

The Wise Monkey
11-14-2007, 04:44 PM
New motherboard = new install of OS, 99% of the time, unfortunately. The reason for this is because, in essence, you are using a different computer. It would be like taking your XP HD, putting it in your friend's machine and expecting it to boot.

I know its annoying, but a fresh install is the only way to go.

ralphf926
11-14-2007, 05:15 PM
I figured that was going to be the answer but I just didn't want to hear it. It's a bloody shame to have Windows installed and have to reinstall it again along with some applications. I can't even get Microsoft Office products to run.

Thanks again,

Ralph

Dan
11-14-2007, 06:02 PM
So I have a question......If one needs to reinstall Win XP on in essence a different computer, Dosen't MS require you to buck-up for a new disk?

Personally I think it sucks that if you have 2 (or more) computers that you just cant "share" the same disk on computers that you own. (Not talking about illeagle copies doled out to friends)
At least thats how I understand it. Is that correct.

please pardon the hi-jack and ignorance for a sec.

The Wise Monkey
11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Its interesting actually as to what constitues a "computer" in terms of the license agreement. For example, if you change a processor, is it still the same computer? It is kind of a grey area, but I'm sure loads of people at Microsoft have sat down and decided amongst themselves how best to get money out of us... XD

Jamie Nixx
11-15-2007, 02:02 AM
I would ring microsoft up and tell them that your motherboard fried and that you need a new licence code.

My uncle has done it with Vista a couple of times when his motherboard fried, and then again :rolleyes: all they ask you is if the OS has been installed on any other HD then the computer in question, quote some legal stuff to you and give you a new licence code.

jonm888
11-15-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm just happy that the user agreement actually allows you to install MS Office on both a laptop and a desktop if they both belong to you. Not sure if that applies to an OS.