PDA

View Full Version : 64 vs. 32

Flixster
11-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Well, after reading many posts on the matter, I've decided to run Vista instead of XP because of the amazing potential (I'm a huge gamer, Vista wins ;) ), BUT, I've came across limited information regarding 64bit vs. 32bit. From what I've seen...

64bit - Gamers love, higher memory capacity, but limited driver support.

32bit - 4g Ram cap (~3.5 cap), better driver support, today's standard for new systems

So, I'll be buying the components for my new system in early February, and I was wondering how you guys think the support for 64bit will be by then. Any info/links are helpful. Cheers.

Jamie Nixx
11-10-2007, 11:08 AM
I am a huger gamer ;) , Vista is not the way to go.....yet.

Vista has its moments but at the moment XP is by far the better choice for gaming but seeing as how you will be building in Feb i reckon Vista would have knuckled down and got some proper drivers released by then.

32bit OS do not like more than 2GB of ram.

I'll get a few links going for you when i have the time to search my favorites lol.

Flixster
11-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks again.

ronniebee
12-27-2007, 01:54 AM
I just built a new 64 bit system, and I'm running XP64, so far I've been able to find all my drivers except one, (for my old model canon scanner). I replaced the scanner with an Epson V-350 which works great with XP64.

The few games I've tried so far all run great, and windows boots up in about 6 seconds. It will be a looooooong time before this old bird upgrades to Vista.

Ronnie Bee

RickyTick
12-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Ronnie mentioned something that I think is key. He couldn't find a driver for an older piece of hardware. So if you're building a new system with all new hardware and peripherals, then Vista is not a problem.

From a pure performance/benchmark standpoint, I think it's been proven that XP is a bit faster. Many hardcore gamers are using XP for that reason alone.

I personally use Vista 64-bit, but I have all new components and I'm currently playing only new games. There have been recent driver updates for VIsta 64 bit and to be honest, mine is blazing fast. I currently play Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, Crysis, and Half-Life 2 Episode 2. They play flawlessly. I even go back and play Call of Duty UO from time to time, and it also runs perfect.

I guess there are pros and cons on XP vs Vista, but I made the conversion to Vista 64 and I'm still happy with it. jmo