PDA

View Full Version : Question about wireless internet router

Spiffs
11-09-2007, 05:44 PM
When I get to building my own PC, I'm going to get a wireless internet router to connect from my existing computer to the one I'm gonna build. So what I wanted to know was if the internet speed is going to be lower on my custom PC compared to my old one? and if it is slower then is there anything I can do to make it faster?
:p

JasonG
11-09-2007, 05:48 PM
I use a wireless router (in wired mode though) to connect my wife's PC to mine. I was also worried about slowing down the connection (I use broadband) but I have not noticed any slowdown on my PC. Been running this way for about 1.5yrs.

The Wise Monkey
11-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Wireless does slow down the internet connection, mainly because the best transfer rate for wireless cards is 58MBps, while connecting through a cable is 100MB-1GBps. Also, your wireless signal will decrease if there are more people using wireless, which doesn't happen with a cable.

That said, you won't really notice the difference. Just be aware that during online games you will warp a bit as the transfer rate between router and computer is slower than if you were using a cable. :)

Spiffs
11-09-2007, 06:14 PM
oh ok, thanks

Is there anyway to increase the speed without using wired routers (I want to put my new comp upstairs while internet is in basment)?

if there isn't then thanks anyways for the responses

:)

The Wise Monkey
11-10-2007, 11:35 AM
First of all, make sure that you get a decent wireless router - Belkin and Netgear are good makes. Also, find out rougly how far it is from where the router will be to where the computer will be. You should do this because routers come in various strengths, from B,G,G+,N, with N being the strongest i.e. the widest range.

I think thats about it. Just make sure that you have an 'excellent' signal, and the internet should be fine. :)

Spiffs
11-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me