PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply upgrade question.

bourque77
11-09-2007, 01:23 AM
I need to upgrade my current power supply, which is (now, don't laugh)

LiteOn PS-5161-2G 160watt

My question is, I have been trying to find a replacement at about 400-450 watts (I am also upgrading my graphics card)

I am a little confused as to do I need a 20 pin or 20 plus 4 pin ? A 12v dual rail or single? etc. I know it is an ATX version that I need but other than that I am confused.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

My computer is an old Gateway 500XL with an intel 4 2600mhz (which I was also thinking of upgrading)

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

heidik
03-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Hi,

My desktop died last summer, and I bought a new standard power unit (past warranty time here).
After I installed the new unit, I had no picture. I had loads of work piled up, so I bought a laptop instead to catch up.

Now I've had time to check out the issue. It turned out that both the old mother board on my Fujitsu Siemens desktop, MS-6712, the old 250 W power unit made by Delta, and the new one, Antec HE-380, are standard. BUT the old system uses the "optional" -5V on pin 18 (of 20) or 20 (of 24).

Where can I find (in Europe) a power unit that has the optional -5 V line included???

I've already done some research, but haven't found any yet.

What I've done (now that I have a working computer):

* looked up the specs for the motherboard, after opening the computer and looking for the model number. Especially the main power connector layout.

* checked the specs for standard ATX power supplies

* checked the specs for Antec

bounceme08
06-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Whenever I play games on my computer such as Crysis or Age of Conan for a few hours, nVidia comes up with a problem report thing that says my card isn't getting enough power. I would think that I have enough power considering my specs but idk. Any help would be awesome. And btw, it sais this before i upgraded from 4g ram to 8g.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
8g RAM
nVidia Geforce 9600 GT 512
650W PSU
MSI P35 Neo 2 Motherboard'
Asus Dvd+R/RW

bug
06-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Whenever I play games ... nVidia comes up with a problem report thing that says my card isn't getting enough power. I would think that I have enough power considering my specs but idk.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
8g RAM
nVidia Geforce 9600 GT 512
650W PSU
MSI P35 Neo 2 Motherboard'
Asus Dvd+R/RW

Can you post the exact brand and model of the power supply... or the specifications on the power supply label? 650W SHOULD be enough, but the most important part is the +12V current. What is the level on each +12V listing on the label? You'll need to have at least a certain minimum (probably around 30W), from what I understand.