PDA

View Full Version : ? grounding anti-static wrist strap

freedda
11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm adding memory to my new Dell laptop. I understand that I should wear an anti-static wrist strap when I do this.

Should I clip the cord on the strap to the laptop I'm working on, and does this serve as a ground even though the laptop is unplugged? (and if the computer is unplugged I'm assuming then that I'm grounding the computer, not that the computer is grounding me???)

I guess I'm a bit confused what I should "ground" to and who's groundin' who?

Best, David.

Jamie Nixx
11-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't use them, they are too restricting, as long as you don't do a marathon on your carpet or feel the need to blow up a balloon and play with it you should be ok lol ;)

Just make sure you touch a radiator to ground yourself, alternatively if your not brave enough, just clip the ASW strap to the rad.

freedda
11-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks, but I think I will use the strap, since I'm new to this.

I don't have a radiator. Can I ground to the laptop itself? Anything else?

David.

Jamie Nixx
11-05-2007, 04:01 PM
People usually use the inside metal of their cases to clip them too, i am not sure about laptops, i do not think that would ground you.

Just clip it to something big and metal.

freedda
11-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Just clip it to something big and metal.
Thanks.

I have my metal propane heat stove, but it has an electric fan in it so its plugged in; does that make a difference? OR, I could clip to the propane feed pipe.

Sorry for being so dense about this. David.

Jamie Nixx
11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
That should be ok.

The Wise Monkey
11-06-2007, 05:18 AM
The whole point of the Anti-static bands is that people generate static electricity when we move around and do things. This static build-up can cause circuits to be fried if you touch them when you have been moving around a lot. The bands help ground you so that the static can be discharged harmlessly. The wrist band should be attached to an unpainted metal object, so a radiator probably wouldn't do.

Most of the time, you don't really need to use a wrist strap - just touch something metal before touching any of your components, and they will all be fine.