PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater PC

acidfire
11-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I have been thinking about building a home theater pc but have a couple questions.

Do you go with a home theater case like these:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=3429&
or do you go with a regular case?

Where can I get reviews of home theater pc cases?

If doing a home theater pc would you stay with windows media center or go for vista? I have windows media center now on my computer at home and like how it all runs but haven't see vista but heard vista has built in media. What I like about windows media center is how well its layed out and when I use the controller media center (not sure what its called) opens up and all options are there. This computer would only be used to record and watch tv, store pictures, and maybe some games.

With my computer now I have a controller that works with the computer. If I build a home theater pc can I get a remote that works with the computer and tv?

I think that is all the questions I have for now. Trying to get all the information I can before deciding if I want to build one.

Amosmoses33
11-02-2007, 03:34 PM
depends where you are going to locate it. If it is in a "stack" like with other things you might get one of those you showed in the link. Otherwise, just a regular one. Get a HUGE HUGE hard drive(s)

ralphf926
11-02-2007, 06:44 PM
I came across this at of all places while researching power supplies at Corsair. Didn't expect to come across anything like this at Corsair. You might find this very helpful:

http://www.corsair.com/systembuild/report.aspx?report_id=12491

Jamie Nixx
11-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Media centre PC's are usually built in small form factor cases with big harddrives.

They are not meant to be peak performance machines as the cases don't allow a lot of room for big graphics cards and the heat generated by gaming components would be a lot considering the small space.

acidfire
11-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all your inputs :)