PDA

View Full Version : File transfer from old computer to new

Leaky Waders
10-30-2007, 11:10 AM
My components are on order and should be delivered within the next seven days. I am looking forward to the build and and am already anticipating the application installations on the new HD. I have located my application CDs and am now wondering how to transfer my documents from the old to the new computer. I will be using WIN XP PRO as an operating system. Please provide suggestions for transferring data from the old computer to the new one. I have read about a data transfer tool called Tornado ($60.00). Is this a necessary tool or is there a cheaper and equally effective tool?
Thanks.
MB INTEL BLKDP35DPM P35
HD 320G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD3200AAKS

The Wise Monkey
10-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Does your old computer have an ethernet port? Just buy yourself a cross-over cable for a few bucks, set up a home network using XP's automatic network setup stuff, and transfer away. :)

This is pretty effective and fast for normal data e.g. music, movies etc. Or do you mean applications and things like that?

EDIT: Just read what about what Tornado does - complete waste of money, in my opinion. XP provides its own data transfer tool that you can use, if you aren't comfortable with setting up a network. Even so, here is a comparison:

Tornado - $60
Crossover cable - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812117807 - $2

I think this method wins. :D

EDIT 2: Check this website for a comprehensive guide to setting up a home network on XP:
http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

Leaky Waders
10-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions, my computer does have an ethernet port and I think I have a cable in a drawer in my office. I plan on moving almost exclusively data files like word documents, scanned documents, photos etc. I cannot say for certain if I will have to move programs. I may have downloaded my copy of Quicken and if I cannot find an installation CD I may have to move that program to the new computer. Will I be able to move a program using the method you mentioned?

The Wise Monkey
10-30-2007, 06:27 PM
It is very difficult to transfer programs from one computer to another, as when they are installed they write data to some Windows system files. So you can't just copy and paste a program's directory from one computer to another.

Make sure that the cable you use is a crossover cable - a normal patch cable won't work, unless you have a hub.