PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on problem with my build

ralphf926
10-26-2007, 04:06 PM
I thought all these components are supposed to worked together. I didn't think I would run into a problem with my Corsair HX620 power supply power cable lengths. I started my build yesterday by installing the power supply into my CoolerMaster CM-690 case. All went well and I was pleased to get that one task done yesterday. I plan to use baby steps. Today I started to look into connecting the power supply to my Asus P5N32_E SLI motherboard. The case has cable organizers so I thought I'd like to avoid cable clutter like most of us want to and run the power cables around the edges of the board and make use of cable organizers that are part of case. The 24 pin cable was a short run to right side of board (back of board would be to left) and posed no problem. In fact there was too much cable length. However, I discovered that the only way I could reach the 8 pin power connector located at top left of board was to run the cable across the entire length close to the pci slots and cpu area. I wasn't happy with this so I called Corsair tech support and they advised me to run the cable under the board and then pull it up and over to make the connection. I didn't like this idea. Furthermore, when I tried to do it I found the cable to be too short. I then spent some time on the Corsair forum and came across a person having a similar problem but he was asking forum moderator if Corsair has a cable extender. Well to make a long story short I pursued the extender idea and found a company located at www.performance-pcs.com that make just what I was looking for, a 1', 8 pin power cable extender. It's on its way and hopefully will take care of my problem. Corsair does not make cable extenders. But I don't think I'm going under the motherboard. This case has the power supply placed at bottom and it seems like there are more cases out there putting power supplies at bottom. If MOBO has connectors at far end of board there could be a problem in having enough cable length to reach the connector. So, in my case(no pun intended) the Corsair HX620W, CoolerMaster CM-690 case and Asus P5n32-E SLI MOBO don't seem to work well together. It's too bad because the case is fantastic. Plenty of room and 3 fans included. Just thought I'd pass this along to make everyone aware of this situation.

The Wise Monkey
10-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up! :)

Jamie Nixx
10-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Can't say i had any trouble myself.

I think the HX-520 actually has longer cables :confused:

Anyway cheers for the heads up.