PDA

View Full Version : Please evaluate and constructively criticize

Leaky Waders
10-25-2007, 03:17 PM
My priority for this build is stability. I am not involved in gaming and don't anticipate that my interest will change. Primary use is for surfing the internet, bookkeeping, pre-teen homework, sharing photos, and word processing. I have no interest in overclocking, thus the Intel MOBO.

Please send feedback on these components.

Thanks,

MOBO
Intel Desktop DP35DP

Processor
Intel Core 2 DUO E6750 COnroe 1333 MHz

RAM
Crucial 2GB x 2 CT2KIT25664AA667 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module

HD
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320 GB SATA

Video Card
G-force 7600 GT

O/S
WIN XP PRO

Case
Antec Sonata IIII

Modem
ZOOM Technologies 3025

I plan on using my existing monitor, keyboard and mouse.

The Wise Monkey
10-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Looks good - very nice choice of components.

PSU wise, you should aim for about 400W. Make sure you get a good brand such as Corsair or Antec, as these are the most reliable.

Jamie Nixx
10-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Nice rig.

Antec are great if your are on a budget.

Leaky Waders
11-01-2007, 09:05 AM
I have received my components and am evaluating everything before I begin the build. I have a question regarding the need for additional heatsink paste to be applied to the bottom of the CPU fan that came in the retail box with the CPU. The Intel web site provides the following information: "The current thermal solutions that ship with the Boxed Intel® Desktop and Server processors come with a thermal interface material applied to the bottom of the heatsink in a 3 bar application from the factory. This thermal interface material on the fan-heatsink helps ensure that a good heat transfer takes place between the processor integrated heat spreader and the fan-heatsink." Will this be sufficient, or should I apply additional heatsink paste? BTY I will not be overclocking.
Thanks,
Paul

The Wise Monkey
11-01-2007, 10:28 AM
The Intel stock fan and thermal paste are very good, so that will work fine.

Any problem with the build, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Leaky Waders
11-01-2007, 11:55 AM
You guys are very helpful. Thanks you so much.

Jamie Nixx
11-01-2007, 12:27 PM
No probs, make sure when you come to put the cooler on the CPU, that the pins are pushed in, they should all click, if you do it wrong and have to take off the fan when it has been in contact with the CPU you will have to replace the thermal paste, so make sure its all lined up correctly :D

Good luck with the build and as WM said if you get stuck don't hesitate to ask for help.

Leaky Waders
11-08-2007, 11:00 AM
My new PC is up and running. :D I have loaded my application programs on the new computer. Now I want to transfer files from the old to the new computer. I wanted to network the two computers together but I ran into a problem.

The old computer will not recognize the internal CD ROM drives. It will not recognize an external CD ROM drive and I am therefore unable to download the drivers from the PCI Wireless Adapter. WIN XP is plug and play. When I plug the external CD into the USB port the device manager shows a large yellow question mark next to "Other devices". When I expand other devices I see a large yellow question mark next to "Super Multi Rewriter" (the external cd drive). I tried uninstalling the cd drive, re-booting windows and re-inserting the cd drive via USB port and the same problem was faced.

I tried plan "B which was purchasing a crossover cable which I attached to both the new and old computer via the ethernet port. I then tried running WIN transfer wizard. When I was asked to select a transfer method my options were Home network, Floppy drive or other. There was no option for the cross overcable.

Do you have any suggestions?

The Wise Monkey
11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
The Home Network is the option you should have chosen. :)

What make is your external CD drive? Try checking the manufacturers website for drivers.