PDA

View Full Version : Installing Cooler for quad 6600

ralphf926
10-23-2007, 12:26 PM
I read Rob's section on installing cpu cooler and have some additional qiestions. I have purchased the intel quad 6600 cpu. The stock cpu comes with looks like 3
strips of thermal paste. Should I use this thermal paste or remove it and put artic silver paste on both the bottom of cooler? If I choose to use stock cooler with thermal paste do I still put thermal paste on top of cpu? And are the strips of thermal paste on bottom of cooler used as is or do they need to be peeled off to expose thermal paste? Sorry for all the questiions but I know this is important and I've never done it before. As always thanks for your help. Ralph

The Wise Monkey
10-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Intel stock fans come with three strips of ready to use thermal paste, as you described, already on the bottom of the fan. If you decide to stick with this, then you just need to attach the fan - the strips are ready to go straight away. However, if you have Arctic Silver paste, then you should remove the thermal paste from the bottom of the fan using some suitable remover and a toothbrush before adding the new paste.

For detailed instructions on applying the Arctic Silver paste, check this website: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

Jamie Nixx
10-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Arctic silver should be carefully applied, too much and it will overheat, too little and it will overheat.

The link WM gave is excellent, i followed the guide on there the first time i used Arctic silver.

:)