PDA

View Full Version : No floppy spot on motherboard

Michael
10-23-2007, 12:55 AM
I am putting a new system together with a Windows 98 OS with a XP upgrade. The new system will not recognize the drivers without the driver updates. I don't have a slot for a floppy ribbon on the mobo. Can I download the updates and transfer them using a thumb drive through the USB port? Mike:confused:

The Wise Monkey
10-23-2007, 03:18 AM
Which drivers do you mean?

You could always burn them to a CD, but I'm sure that the USB would work just as well, although you might have some problems with Windows 98 and the USB stick - Plug and Play wasn't invented back then. :)

Michael
10-23-2007, 08:59 AM
The system will not recognize the CD rom or DVD that I have hooked up. I tried using the boot CD. Could I take an old hard drive out that has it on it and piggyback it in with the new system and get it going that way? Thanks Mike

The Wise Monkey
10-23-2007, 11:58 AM
What exactly are you trying to do? Are you installing the OS?

Michael
10-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I am trying to install the cd driver for Win 98 OS w/ XP upgradebut my new mobo doesn't have a slot for a floppy drive.The system did not recognize the CD rom because I couldn't install the Win 98 w/XP upgrade using the cd. I was wanting to add the Microsoft cd driver so it would will find the cd rom.:)

acidfire
10-23-2007, 12:50 PM
If you have the winxp upgrade disk use that to install windows. What you do is start the computer and go into your bios and make sure your boot order is cdrom then harddrive so your cdrom is first, then restart the computer with the upgrade disk in the cdrom. You will then see a black screen with a message saying press a button to boot from cdrom or something like that and when it says that push a key on the keyboard. Then you will start to install windows. As windows installs it will have a step where it says upgrade could not find a previous version of windows, and tells you to put in a full version of windows which is when you put you windows 98 cd in. After that you will continue to install windows as normal. This is the steps I use when I use windows upgrade disk but I use win 95 disk :p You must make sure you have your bio setup to run the cdrom before hard drive or your cdrom will not work. Hope that helps :)

Michael
10-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I got as far as Welcome to Setup screen and then it seemed like the keyboard didn't work any. Any suggs? Thanks,Mike:)

The Wise Monkey
10-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Are you using a USB keyboard? If so, try plugging it into a USB to PS/2 adaptor.

Michael
10-23-2007, 11:38 PM
I am using a USB and do not have a PS/2 port.

The Wise Monkey
10-24-2007, 08:08 AM
What motherboard do you have?! Every board I have ever used has a PS/2 port...

Ok then, try looking around the BIOS for a setting such as "USB keyboard support", "USB mouse support" or something along those lines. Make sure these are set to 'enabled'.

Michael
10-28-2007, 08:13 PM
My Mobo is an Intel DP35DPM. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks Mike