PDA

View Full Version : New mobo, still no boot

OhJay
10-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Wanted to start a new thread on this, though it is pretty much the same issue I have been dealing with.

So I swapped out my motherboard that I had originally installed, a MSI K8N Neo Platinum, for a MSI K8N Neo v3. Reconnected everything, and still nothing when I boot.

Here is the info I have to help diagnose this - when I start it up, all fans are spinning, I can hear the HDD and the CD drive spinning up. Nothing displays. I tried taking out the RAM sticks (two) and inserting just one at a time. Still nothing. Took both out, and got a repeating single beep. Put the RAM in one stick at a time, alternating sticks and slots, and had the same blank screen, but no beeps. Tried taking out the video card, and it issued a single beep at startup, but then nothing else. Throughout this process, I have also reset the CMOS and taken the battery out.

I have now swapped out the mobo, the PSU and the processor. Any ideas as far as what is going on here? My next fix is going to be sending in the sticks of RAM, but what are the chances that both sticks that I bought at the same time and were first installed in this computer were bad?

Could this be a video card issue? Any other ideas? Am I missing something?

My system right now:

MSI K8N Neo v3
eVGA GeForce 7600 GS 256mb
2 - 1 GB Kingston RAM
Athlon 64 3400+ processor

The Wise Monkey
10-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Hmmm...

Try turning it on and leaving it for a few minutes, see what happens. Listen for the sound of the CD being accessed, or something like that.

OhJay
10-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Just did that. The cd drive spins up, I can hear the HDD working every now and then, just nothing on the screen. No signal even being sent to monitor it would seem.

Amosmoses33
10-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Did you get the first boot to work? It sounds like you must have because you already have the HDD and optical drives in it/installed. If not, back up and do these step by step..exactly.

http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_parts_list.shtml

OhJay
10-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Never made it past first boot. Tried it with just RAM, video card, CPU & cooler installed, and tried with everything installed. Tested to make sure motherboard was not grounding out. Tried with RAM in different configurations. Nothing working.

Just discovered this - the card is an eVGA 7800 GS. Just to confirm, is this video card and motherboard compatible? I have an MSI-7030 K8N Neo Platinum v1 and a MSI-7030 K8N Neo v3 that I have tried it with.

The Wise Monkey
10-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Man, I'm stumped. Have you got a computer shop near you that you can take it into? Maybe actually seeing it might help.

Sorry that I couldn't help... :(

Amosmoses33
10-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Try reading this page
http://forum.msi.com.tw/
maybe some others have had your problem.

Good luck!

Gen.Manapua
11-02-2007, 02:30 AM
This happened to me. i found out i did not put in the brass risers that sits between the case and mobo.

Amosmoses33
11-02-2007, 03:33 PM
that would definately do it...ouch

OhJay
11-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Hold up, brass risers? I did not get anything like that with either of the two MSI motherboards I have now tried. Is that something I can get at the local CompUSA or Best Buy?

FYI, since my last post I have RMA'd the video card and also purchased a d-bracket. Installed the new video card today, and the d-bracket. Still nothing on the screen. Now it beeps a single beep every 3-4 seconds.

If anyone is familiar with d-brackets, it looks like this ...

RED RED
GREEN RED

(That combination of lights indicates a keyboard issue, however the keyboard I was using is the one I am typing on now)

Also, after taking Amosmoses' hint about the MSI user-to-user forums, they were recommending a new power supply. In fact, they shut down my post when I tried to put new information up today. It is a 500W CompUSA cheapy, but I figured it would get me by until I could afford a new one. Thoughts on that?

Jamie Nixx
11-13-2007, 05:58 PM
You get brass risers with your case, sometimes you don't have to use them because the backplate on the case already has enough raised points that your moterboard sits on.

I wouldn't trust any generic PSU such as the one you mentioned but your system isn't really a major power hog so i doubt it could be that.

Can't believe your still having trouble dude i would be pissed.

OhJay
11-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Okay, then I do have them. There are points that elevate the mobo from the backplate on my case already.

Still having issues, but sticking with it. Just irks me because I felt like I was going to get some help on the MSI forums, and for whatever reason they just closed the topic because the moderator said I was posting again without addressing the issue they had told me was the problem. So, I can't post again until I install a new PSU, I guess!

Anyway, I guess that is my way of saying thanks for sticking with me, guys. Sooner or later this machine is going to work. Though I have thought about parting it out a couple times, I will not be deterred!

The Wise Monkey
11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Good luck - it has definitely lead a troubled life so far. I hope that when you finally get it sorted it works perfectly for ages. :D