PDA

View Full Version : Quandry with MOBO choice

ralphf926
10-22-2007, 02:10 AM
After doing some research on the Asus P5n32-E SLI Mobo I'm having second thoughts. There seems to be a ton of memory compatibility problems with this board and from what I've read you cannot even use the total 8gb of memory. Is this problem related to nVidia 680i chip or the Asus board? Can someone offer me a more stable board. I'll even consider a board with an Intel chip. I don't want to be burdened with memory issues with my first build. I already have purchased the Quad 6600 cpu so board would need to be compatible with that. I've done cursory investigation and the Abit IP35 Pro seems to have excellent reviews on Newegg and is rated 5 eggs for over 100 customers. Also what kind of graphic card will IP35 support, nVidia, ATI or either one? Can anyone offer any advice.:confused:

acidfire
10-22-2007, 07:16 AM
I just finished a new build and used what jamie recommends to everyone which is ASUS P5N-E SLI (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131142&Tpk=N82E16813131142). At first I was a little nerves like you are because I read other people having problems with ram with that board also but after putting everything together I haven't had any problems with the ram. I know the board I got had the latest bios so I don't know if the people who built with the first released boards are the ones with the problem or what their problem was. If that is the board you want you can always get it and if you do run into problems post on this forum and someone will help you. I'm not to sure what the difference is between the ASUS P5N-E SLI and Asus P5n32-E SLI but I'm very satisfied with ASUS P5N-E SLI.

All boards won't use 8gb of memory unless you use windows 64 bit versions. I think the most windows 32 bit versions will read are 4gb. Most people use 32 bit version of windows because there are more drivers available. This is a windows design issue and not a motherboard problem.

The Wise Monkey
10-22-2007, 07:39 AM
A quick run down:

1. The P5N-E SLI uses the excellent nVidia 650i chipset, but people have had issues with the RAM. Still, this is an excellent board.

2. The P5N32-E SLI uses the 680i chipset, which is very good for gaming but really overpriced for what it is.

3. The Intel P35 chipset supports all GFX cards, but only supports ATI's Crossfire if you are using two cards, not nVidia's SLI. Even so, don't be put off by this - I have the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, using the P35 chipset, and it is very good.

So it depends what you are looking for. I never really wanted to use SLI, so I was happy going for the P35 chipset, as it offers greater future proofing in terms of a 1333MHz FSB, as well as support for DDR3. If you want something that is more geared towards gaming, then the 680i chipset is the way to go.

There is really no point in having 8GB of memory unless you plan to use the computer as a server, otherwise it is a real waste of money. 32-bit OSs can't support more than 3GB of RAM, no matter what, and even that requires an extra command in the bootfile, so don't bother if you don't feel comfortable with that.

Hope this helps. :)

ralphf926
10-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Thank you both for your reply. Since joining this board I now also feel that SLI is no big deal and the P35 chip looks more promising. Heck, with the Abit board I could always use Crossfire? Just joking. All kidding aside I think I may return the Asus board and go with Abit. I just want to make sure I have stable components for my first build. Could you answer one further question. If I go with P35 chipset am I required to go with ATI video card or can I still use nVidia card. This forum is great.:)

ralphf926
10-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Forgot to ask this question. Would you recommend a cpu cooler for the Quad 6600 cpu or is the stock cooler that comes with cpu OK?

acidfire
10-22-2007, 10:47 AM
If you plan not to overclock than the stock fan should do just fine. If you plan to overclock then maybe wm could give you a recommendation because I never overclock.

ralphf926
10-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks again. I don't plan to overclock. So I'll stay with stock cooler. Can you answer my question on graphics card. Can I use nVidia graphics card if I use Intel P35 MOBO. I think I can but want to make sure.

acidfire
10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Sorry I can't help as I don't know much about P35 MOBO :( I would wait for a reply from The Wise Monkey since he has one and can give you more info ;)

acidfire
10-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I just read what The Wise Monkey posted above to look at p35 motherboards and I think this answers your graphic card question:

3. The Intel P35 chipset supports all GFX cards, but only supports ATI's Crossfire if you are using two cards, not nVidia's SLI. Even so, don't be put off by this - I have the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, using the P35 chipset, and it is very good.
Maybe he can verify but the way I read that you can use any gfx card but if you area going to use two cards it has to be ati's crossfire. Like I said I don't know much about p35 and I would wait til The Wise Monkey verifies what I just posted.

ralphf926
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Wow, stupid me. That's exactly what he said. Just glossed over it. I guess my question about 8gb RAM is mute now that I've learned that Windows will only recognize a max of 3gb. So, it seems all these memory compatibility problems may not be real problems but an OS limitation. May reconsider Asus P5n32-E SLI since I got it for a bargain of $150 at Micro Center. It may be fine running at 2GB of RAM. Now, it's decision time. Thanks very much for help!:)

ralphf926
10-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Wow, stupid me. That's exactly what he said. Just glossed over it. I guess my question about 8gb RAM is mute now that I've learned that Windows will only recognize a max of 3gb. So, it seems all these memory compatibility problems may not be real problems but an OS limitation. May reconsider Asus P5n32-E SLI since I got it for a bargain of $150 at Micro Center. It may be fine running at 2GB of RAM. Now, it's decision time. Thanks very much for help!:)

The Wise Monkey
10-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I have an nVidia 8800GTS running perfectly on my current motherboard i.e. the P35 chipset.

It depends if you intend on using SLI at any point. I never intend to, so the motherboard was a good choice for me.

The Q6600s are known to run quite hot, so you may be interested in getting an aftermarket cooler. If you do decide to get one, I strongly recommend the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 - an excellent cooler at a very good price. My e6750 doesn't get higher than 30C under full load, and idles at about 20C according to Core Temp. :D

This may be because I am in England, and it is bloody freezing here at the moment... XD

Anywho, I would definitely recommend thhe P5N32-E SLI motherboard, especially at that price. :O