PDA

View Full Version : Two startup beeps

John47
10-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Everything has been running smoothly with my new CPU (less than a week after putting it together), but all of the sudden I get two beeps from the computer speaker on startup. Everything boots fine, though, and Windows XP seems unaffected (I'm using it to post right now).

Should I be concerned about this? :confused:

System specs:
Chip: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Mobo: MSI K9N Platinum SLI
Ram: Crucial Ballistix 2048MB PC2-6400 DDR2
Video card: eVGA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB DDR3

Jamie Nixx
10-19-2007, 10:30 PM
2 beeps on an MSI motherboard and almost all mobo's means either an incorrectly seated GPU or incorrectly seated Ram or faulty GPU or faulty Ram

Run memtest to check your memory for any problems, and take out the GPU and the memory and make sure they are correctly seated, be firm when pushing them in.

If the computer is running ok, it shouldn't pose a problem, usually you would get BSOD otherwise.

Check out this link, this is MSI website troubleshooting page http://support.msi-computer.nl/trouble/index.html

What Bios are you using? is it the AMI Bios?

John47
10-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm running AMI Bios version 1.7. Should I do the test found at memtest.org or memtest86.com? Are they the same test?

I assume I boot from a floppy or CD-ROM to run the test, no? Dang, I hope it's not my components, they're brand new!

Jamie Nixx
10-20-2007, 06:48 AM
If you look at the toubleshooting page, 2 beeps in the AMI Bios means parity circuit failure, aka its either the Ram or the motherboard.

Run memtest from memtest.org.