PDA

View Full Version : Advice for the New gaming rig Plz

syke
10-18-2007, 03:35 PM
I am building a new computer and am hoping to get some help to make a good stable computer.

I have a few new parts given to me by a professional gamer friend.

I have a xfx 680i LT SLI mobo,
Pentium D 955 3.46hgz EE (thinking about getting a core 2 duo e6600) looking for advice.
Antec 900 case, no psu yet. I'm not sure how much i need.

The rest i want to buy this weekend through newegg or fry's probably. I have about 1000$ budget. Anyone have recommendations on the rest?

So far im looking at:

2 gigs ddr2 800 (unsure about brand and type)
xfx gforce 8800 gts 640
2 x 250gig seagate baracuda hdd
any dvd burner

I don't use a sound card because I use plantronic DSP which has it built in.

Any advice or recommendations would be helpful and nice, On hardware selections, and Operating system. Windows XP or Vista

Thanks you.

Jamie Nixx
10-18-2007, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't get the 8800GTS 640mb, if you can wait a couple of weeks nvidia will be releasing the 8800GT with 512mb of video memory, and it will be the same price as the 320mb version 8800GTS and a lot better.

Corsair, Crucial and OCZ are the brands to look out for in terms of gaming memory, whichever ones cheapest. Although Geil make excellent Ram and it is very cheap so if your on a budget go for that.

PSU wise, go for the HX520

If you like dust, and enjoy spring cleaning, the Antec 900 will be right up your street, it may be the best air cooling case around but when the dust settles it gets loud and you will be cleaning it every week, the Antec P180 or P182 are better.

The E6750 is cheaper than the E6600 and better so i would go for that.

The motherboard is pretty solid and very good so your all sorted there.