PDA

View Full Version : Help a neophyte with networking hardware

Eldric IV
10-18-2007, 05:43 AM
As someone who knows very, very little about computers, it would be surprising to discover I am committed to build one. I am, however, very, very cheap. I can pinch a penny in half. And while I plan to scrimp and save every dime on this build, I know and wish to enjoy the benefits of quality. A $100 pair of boots that last 1 year are better than a $10 pair of boots that last a month. So what's the problem?

My internet access is through a wireless router. I currently have a laptop (Dell Inspiron 2200) with an external wireless antenna/dongle/whatever you call it plugged into a USB port. I am decently sure that, upon completing construction of my new desktop PC using the instructions on this site and the information on these forums, I can just use the same USB thingy to connect to the internet as usual. This, however, leads me to two questions:

1. Is my assumption correct in general or are there hardware specifications that need to be addressed (a particular motherboard or what have you)?

2. What must I buy to have 802.11b/g WLAN capability internal to my machine? I recently saw an HP Pavilion model at Costco with that on the sticker but could find no such option for an XPS machine at Dell (I do a lot of legwork in cost comparison analysis).

Just in case it comes up, plugging in the internet with a cable is out of the question. That is why we had to get a wireless router in the first place.

I hope to join the proud tradition of posting my proposed components on the boards for Jamie Nixx to bash (I presume I will not be lucky enough to choose all quality parts my first time around). For the most part, I have followed Rob's component guide very closely (in fact, exactly using the Intel parts) but I noticed Jamie has expressed a low opinion of the Zalman CNPS9500 cooler along with several PSUs (though not yet specifically the one in the Antec Sonata III case, as far as I know) and now I wonder what else in my set-up should be changed. But one step at a time.

Jamie Nixx
10-18-2007, 05:55 AM
The dongle will work on any computer you build, or should do, most if not all motherboards allow that capability without any 3rd party hardware.

But, you can get motherboards that are backwards compatible with wireless, so basically built in wireless, the dongle/adapter plugs directly into the motherboard (not via USB) and all of them are ''54 Mbps IEEE 802.11g and backwards compatible with 11 Mbps IEEE 802.11b'' whatever that means :D

The Wise Monkey
10-18-2007, 06:47 AM
If you want a motherboard with built in wireless, then they usually have that information in their name e.g. (from newegg) "ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail", or something along those lines.

If you want to find out if a particular motherboard has built in wireless, and the site doesn't say so, then just go to the manufactures website and type in the required model number to find detailed info on it.

I too have noticed that Jamie is quick to pounce on components that are not to his liking, but he generally gives good advice for parts - in your words, "$100 pair of boots that last 1 year are better than a $10 pair of boots that last a month" - and we all want to help you get the best value for your money.

By the way, the Zalman cooler has troubled several people on this site before, but it is still a good cooler. Just be aware that we have seen several problems with it before.

Hope the build goes well. :)

Jamie Nixx
10-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Generally WM, i think you will find that is, always give good advice :rolleyes: ;) :D , not to my liking is also a bit far out lol, i buy too many computer components for my own good, so most people who post and get a cpu is rubbish ect, i have probably used the parts before somewhere along the line.

The Zalman is a good cooler, very good infact, but at the end of the day, too many people have had problems with it, myself included, plus for the money it costs and the hype surrounding it, rivals, such as the Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro (much cheaper), or more in the Zalmans price range the Tuniq tower are much better.

I don't know if bash is the right word :rolleyes:, i prefer to call it constructive criticism, unless i am tired and then you just get, mobo is crap, cpu is crap, psu is very crap ect ect ect :o :D

But if you can get a better computer out of it for near enought the same price, theres no harm done is there :D

Eldric IV
10-18-2007, 01:28 PM
A motherboard with built-in wireless is probably going to cost me more than without. Looks to be about $100.

A PCI card is the next step out from motherboard-ready wireless, right? These all seem to require a stupid little antenna sticking out the back and range from about $30 to $60+.

And then out from there is the USB antenna. I can live with the antenna if these are the prices. It is Belkin, which I hear is a good brand for wireless, and I know it works (has been 2-3 years now).

The Wise Monkey
10-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Belkin are a good make - I have one, actually, and it has never steered me wrong. The only problem you might have is if you decide to run Linux as the drivers are very difficult to obtain.