PDA

View Full Version : Couple Problems

acidfire
10-16-2007, 07:18 AM
Computer is built and all hardware seams to be working perfect and I ran the torture test for a few hours and all test passed. I will list my problems below:

#1 When I did the DirectX Diagnostics utility all the test passed except the Test DirectSound. It would say did you hear the sound and I didn't hear anything. But when I did Test DirectMusic I did hear sound. How do I fix the Test DirectSound?

#2 After updating everything and running the test I decided to test the dvd drives and play a dvd. I have a new dvd drive and a old one from another computer that works. I tried playing a dvd in both drivers and every time I tell windows to play the dvd in windows media player or power dvd I get a memory can't be read or something along that line (don't know error code as I'm at work now) What would cause me to get a error every time I want to play a dvd? I know the dvd part has to work because I installed world of warcraft on the computer and they are dvd. So it can read dvd and install programs but can't play dvd :(

I'm learning so much with this build that I'm going to go crazy :p First case comes bent so get a replacement, hard drive and ram bad so waited for replacement, first time formated hard drive I messed up and redid it, and now the dvd problem and direct x :rolleyes: Hope I can get this computer done this week.

The Wise Monkey
10-16-2007, 04:30 PM
What sound card, if any, do you have? Get the latest drivers for it, or if its integrated, the latest drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturers website.

As for the DVD side of things, you need to have a special codec to play DVDs on your computer. I know, it sucks.

However, help is at hand. Download VLC Media Player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

This allows you to play DVDs, as well as almost any media file - I have only found one or two things that it can't play. :)

acidfire
10-16-2007, 05:37 PM
I install the program you told me to and it plays dvd's but window media player and PowerDVD still give errors. Window Media Player shows this in the error signature:
AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 11.0.5721.5145 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00011430

Does that mean anything?

Here is what powerDVD shows:
The instruction at "0x7c911430" referenced memory at "0x435006a5", The memory could not be "read".

after I click ok to terminater the program I get this error:

The instruction at "0x7c910e03" referenced memory at "0x74732049", The memory could not be "written".

after I click ok I get this error then:

The instruction at "0x7c911430" referenced memory at "0x435006a5", The memory could not be "read".

Could this be a ram problem? Do you have any ideas? Sould I reinstall window xp? I thought after you install windows you should be able to play dvd, and powerdvd that I installed should work with dvd right away I thought.
Thanks for the help

Jamie Nixx
10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
The error codes often indicate a Ram problem, you could try re-installing windows but i don't know if it will help.

The Wise Monkey
10-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Nah, those error codes show up a lot - its just some fault has happened with the program, not the OS or the RAM. It means that the program is trying to access a section of memory that is already in use by something else.

Windows Media Player won't play DVDs until you install a specific codec - go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx and get the CinePlayer DVD Decoder for XP.

As for PowerDVD, it is likely that a problem occurred whilst installing the program in the first place. Re-install the program, and try again.

If you cannot get PowerDVD to work, then at least you will have VLC and WMP to fall back on. :)

EDIT: Hmm, all those codecs from Microsoft require you to pay some money... I'd recommend not using WMP as you already have PowerDVD. Get that up and running, or just use VLC.

jonm888
10-16-2007, 10:47 PM
try updating the drivers or downloading a patch for the program. If you google "error message power dvd" it is not that uncommon of an error. Hopefully that will help

Jamie Nixx
10-17-2007, 03:25 AM
Those codecs from Microsoft are a con, donwload limewire or something and get them off there.

WM is right, something probably happened while installing, did you have any anti virus turned on or anything, sometimes that stops parts of a program being installed.

acidfire
10-17-2007, 07:13 AM
I didn't have much time last night to test things but here is what I have tried and what I think. When testing directx with DirectX Diagnostics utility the Test DirectSound does not work so I needed to make sure I have updated integrated sound drivers. I re download the latest for Asus P5N-E SLI which is V6.0.1.5334 and reinstalled it last night and the Test DirectSound still did not make a sound even after I adjusted the accelerator. This morning I just recheck asus site again and noticed V6.0.1.5334 is a beta version so I wonder if I should drop down to the latest version V5.10.0.5324 which was updated 2007/01/12 where the v6 was last updated 2006/12/26. Should I try the v5 or should I goto http://www.realtek.com.tw/ and download the latest drivers from them? If I should download from the realtek site which download should I get at http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/:
AC'97 Audio Codecs (Software)
High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)

I think if I can fix this problem it will fix the dvd problem. I noticed last night after installing VLC Media Player like The Wise Monkey suggested that at first yes the dvd did play the start of the movie where it shows who made the movie but after the movie started the sound did not work :( I decided to watch part of the movie to see how well it looked on the monitor and that is when I noticed the sound didn't work when the movie played. So I assume I need to get the audio drivers updated and that should fix the dvd problem I hope.

If anybody has any other ideas to try let me know and thanks for everyones help:)

[Edit] I have norton on the computer so I will have to disable it and try reinstalling powerdvd.

The Wise Monkey
10-17-2007, 10:03 AM
You should get the latest drivers from your motherboard website, as they will have exactly the ones you need.

Beta drivers are usually OK, so that wouldn't be causing the problem. You can try dropping back to the latest stable drivers - its definitely worth a try.

This may sound like a stupid question, but is the audio cable/headphone cable plugged into the correct port? It should be the light green one.

acidfire
10-17-2007, 10:11 AM
I will try a different driver. It's weird how they have v5 updated but beta v6 is not updated yet. Will try to drop back a version and see if that helps.

This may sound like a stupid question, but is the audio cable/headphone cable plugged into the correct port? It should be the light green one.
Yep I made sure of that :) I can play the sample Beethoven that is in the music folder with no problem. I even played a couple minutes of world of warcraft and the graphics and sound where great. Just have the problem when I try to play dvd.

[Edit]Is there a way to test the onboard audio to make sure it's working right?

The Wise Monkey
10-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Hmm, that is strange. So the sound is working fine, except for DVDs.

Does your DVD have a digital sound output on it? There may have been a connector at the back, or some have connectors at the front.

acidfire
10-17-2007, 10:34 AM
The dvd drive I got is:
LG Black DVD Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136118)
and I have a liteone cd burver/dvd drive I used form old computer. Do you think I might have to connect the audio cable to the motherboard? Following rob's instructions I didn't connect the dvd drive audio wire to the motherboard and made sure digital option was selected for the dvd drives. Maybe I need to connect that wire?

Thanks for all your help :)

The Wise Monkey
10-17-2007, 02:51 PM
What is the output from DXdiag? Run the test, then save the output to a file and post/upload it. This will give us a better idea of what might be wrong.

acidfire
10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Here is the text file for you that you can download off my site. The text file was to big to post to forum as it was over 1000. Here is the text file:
Directx Text File (http://www.jadice426.com/dadcomputer/DxDiag.txt)
Hope this can help point out the problem.

The Wise Monkey
10-18-2007, 05:30 AM
OK, try going into Device Manager, go to your DVD drive and see if it has Digital Audio playback enabled - tick the box if it isn't enabled.

acidfire
10-18-2007, 07:06 AM
I did that already, I can recheck tonight to make sure but I'm %100 sure I did that already. Do you think I need to connect the audio cable from the dvd drive to the motherboard?

Jamie Nixx
10-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Acid mate, why don't you just try it and find out, it shouldn't do any harm, at least if you do and it doesn't work we can rule that out and move onto the next suggestion.

acidfire
10-18-2007, 08:10 AM
I plan to try it tonight, was just talking out loud. I plan to try the audio connector, try different drives, and recheck Digital Audio playback is enabled. Maybe I should try a music cd in the dvd drive. The computer plays sounds that are on the hard drive but won't play the sounds from a dvd. So maybe if I put a cd with music on it in and it doesn't play then I must need to connect the audio cable. I will see what I can do tonight and let you know what happens.

The Wise Monkey
10-18-2007, 02:17 PM
It is very strange. I'm sure it is to do with some codec that you don't have, but I'm not sure which one. XD

Maybe the Ac3 codec - that is the one to do with DVD sound.

acidfire
10-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Let me see what I can get down tonight and maybe I will fix it some how. I do plan to uninstall powerDVD and reinstall with norton off so theres no problems.

acidfire
10-20-2007, 07:15 AM
After a week of messing around and reformatting the computer I have found a couple fixes.

The problem I had with powerDVD and Windows Media Player was powerDVD being version 5 and they have version 7 now. I found that out because Windows Media Player said it's normal error when no codec is installed for dvd, then I installed powerDVD and that is when the error started on both. Went to powerDVD site did the updates for version 5 but still errors so I downloaded trail of version 7 and now dvd play with Windows Media Player and powerDVD :)

The problem with the sound you won't believe :p After getting dvd's to play I decide to find the problem with the sound. After trying both dvd drives and watch parts of movies I found out that when I would click the next button to goto the next chapter in a dvd the sound would play but the peoples voice would not play. The sound would work fine as long as I didn't click next button. Finally I decide screw the sound I would try my headset to make sure the front case audio ports worked and to my surprise the sound was great and I could change between chapters and all sounds and voices where there. So I know the front ports work by now and think please don't be a bad motherboard :p So next I connected my headset to the back audio ports and the audio works perfect :D So I assume the problem is the old speakers I'm using. The speakers are real old ones I just keep to makes sure sound works when I work on other peoples computers. So I'm going to talk to my dad to buy new speakers and that should solve the problem. Word of advise always use newer speakers or you might go crazy trying to find a fix to your audio problems ;)

After I get the new speakers I will have to retest DXdiag sound test and hope that will work then.

Thanks everyone who helped me out and I will be posting some pictures of the computer soon :D

Jamie Nixx
10-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Hmmmm, the words donut and wally spring to mind lol :p

I am glad you got it sorted, or hopefully sorted at least :D

acidfire
10-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Everything working great now. All direct x test pass now,dvd play perfect,and all sound problems are fixed and sound great. Thanks for everyones help :)

The Wise Monkey
10-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Glad you got it sorted. :)

Jamie Nixx
10-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Glad you got it sorted mate :)