PDA

View Full Version : Xp Or Vista

zzzzzomg
10-16-2007, 03:35 AM
Long-term comp, what to choose O.O

The Wise Monkey
10-16-2007, 04:01 AM
I have used both extensively, and I much prefer XP.

How long term are you talking about? SP3 for XP is coming out next year, as is SP1 for Vista. You can always install XP to get your computer working well for the time being, and then move onto Vista via an upgrade.

Jamie Nixx
10-16-2007, 08:00 AM
I am not installing Vista yet, too many bugs, i am going to install it by christmas though, drivers should be half decent by then.

XP is my preference for now but long term, Vista will probably be better.

John47
10-23-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm no expert like Jamie or Wise Monkey, but there is still a lot of evidence out there that Vista is still not quite ready for prime-time. Lots of hardware and software incompatibilities still.

Check out this overview in today's PC World:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138693-page,1-c,vistalonghorn/article.html

ralphf926
10-23-2007, 12:50 PM
You can do both if you like with XP as your primary OS and Vista as secondary OS. Not difficult to setup dual boot system. Plenty of help on web. Just install XP before you install Vista. It's much easier setting up dual boot this way. I'm doing this and using Vista as a learning tool.This is an interesting web site:

www.vistabootpro.org/

John47
10-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Sounds cool - but do both operating systems need to be on the C: drive in order to work? Can you leave vista on another partition and still boot from it? I'm just thinking that would prevent the CPU from confusing the two OS's on startup.

The Wise Monkey
10-23-2007, 03:54 PM
You can install Windows on any drive that you want to, except A or B (they are reserved for floppy drives).

In fact, you will need at least two partitions to dual boot separate OSs.

The alternative is to give up with Windows and install Ubuntu 7.10. :D

mehrunes dagon
12-14-2007, 06:55 PM
My friend, who is fluent in 5 programming languages, made a joke to me that his vista computer would probably reject RAID. I concurred, having once used the thing. Vista has some nice features, bet rejects EVERYTHING!!!!!!! period. end of story. no exceptions.