PDA

View Full Version : First Boot Problem

BrianB
10-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Well Followed the guide and tried my first boot, here is the problem monitor says no signal one time and tried again and now does not come out of standby mode and all I have I one very long beep, tried the steps in the first boot problems page but no luck yet.
Any help will be appreciated
Brian

Jamie Nixx
10-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Is it just one long beep or is it a continuous loop?

One long beep often indicates a Ram problem, either incorrectly seated or at fault, try not to worry, first boot problems happen all the time.

And whats the whole system spec. we done a lot of chopping and changing lol :D

BrianB
10-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Continuous loop, the specs or the last ones we decided on with the Asus P5N-E SLi and 8800gts, had to hook up a speaker from an old case cause the antec 900 does not have one

Jamie Nixx
10-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Memory error mate.

Try booting with one stick and make sure it is pushed in firmly, you should hear a click, if it still does not boot, try the stick in each slot.

If it still doesn't boot, try the other stick in each slot ect.

If you still have no joy, you will have to send the Ram back for replacement modules.

BrianB
10-15-2007, 11:13 PM
You were right, it is the ram, it will boot to the first screen fine with one of the sticks of ram but will not do anything with the other, I thought I tried that, maybe you are just good luck or something. Guess I will have to send those two sticks back and try to get somemore.

Jamie Nixx
10-15-2007, 11:19 PM
You sound a bit downhearted, cheer up mate, its all part of building these things, its no drama, just send it back, get some nice shiny new Ram and all will be well :D

BrianB
10-15-2007, 11:26 PM
yeah, guess it is all part of it, but I was glad to see the first boot screen, made me feel better.
Thanks,
Brian

Jamie Nixx
10-15-2007, 11:31 PM
No worries Brian, i am confident that once you get your new Ram all sorted, your computer should start up without a hitch :)

acidfire
10-16-2007, 07:27 AM
I had the same problem with the build I'm doing now. I was so pissed when I did the first boot and the screen was black. Luck for me it was late and I decide to wait til the next day to mess with it again. Came to this site and looked over all the first boot problems and I reconnected all pn1/pn2 connections, used one stick of ram, and reseated the graphics card. After all that the computer booted with no problems. Put other stick in and computer wouldn't start. So cheer up as it's better to know you have bad ram now than after the computer is built and your ram fails.

BrianB
10-16-2007, 08:44 AM
That is true. Just sucks having to wait for more ram to come.

acidfire
10-16-2007, 10:30 AM
If you got it from newegg you can do what I did. I told them I needed the new ram asap and they set it up where after they received the bad ram they would refund me, and all I had to do was reorder the new ram. I got my new ram in 3 days verses waiting til they got the bad ram and sending me the new ram which would take about 6+ days I believe. You could try that to get the new ram faster :)

Amosmoses33
10-16-2007, 10:45 AM
the p5 series requires the ram to match sides, so if you put 1G in the white slots, you have to put 1G in the blue slot so they equal. you cant put all the ram in the white slot or all in the blue slot. i had that problem. That may not be your problem but i thought i'd try and help.

BrianB
10-16-2007, 10:58 AM
acidfire-
That is what I just did before I read this post, thanks for the tip anyway.

Amosmoses33-
I already tried doing that and even tried to boot with each one individually and it will only boot with one of the sticks so that tells me the other is bad. Thanks,
Brian