PDA

View Full Version : Asus p5n-e sli Firewall?

acidfire
10-15-2007, 08:41 AM
After running into a couple problems with parts I finally got the computer running with windows xp. What I noticed is after I installed the chipset for the motherboard I have a icon in the quick launch for nvidia firewall (is looks like a bookmark shape). After click on the icon it's used to run firewall, and network. I turned the firewall off because my dad wants norton and I don't want norton and the nvidia firewall causing problems. After I deactivated nvidia firewall I still get the icon in the quick launch with a X across the icon. How can I deactivate or remove the icon form the quick launch area?

Jamie Nixx
10-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi acid, go to Start>Run>type in msconfig.

This will open the system configuration utility (i am assuming you are using XP)

Go to the last header that says startup, it will list everything that starts up automatically when you turn on your computer, then just turn off/delete the nvidia firewall from the list, click apply, ok ect.

Norton is one of the worst Anti-Viruses/Firewall that has ever been made, and people actually pay money for it.

Tell your Dad AVG is the best anti-virus and Zone alarm is the best firewall, best of all they are freeeeeee :D

acidfire
10-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks, I forgot to check that out :rolleyes:

To be honest I don't know if I trust AVG yet and I have norton on all the computer I use at home and work. I guess everyone has their own opinions :)

The funniest thing I have heard about norton which might be true is:
get norton because they are top anti virus right now and they are the same people making the viruses :p

Thanks for the reply and I might try AVG and Zone alarm later on to see how they do. Have you ever had problems running any of those?

Jamie Nixx
10-15-2007, 10:51 AM
No, thats why they are the best lol :p

Honestly though, AVG is a million times better than Norton will ever be, people think its the best, because you have to fork out for it and its heavily publicised, but its a waste of money.

The Wise Monkey
10-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Actually, Norton performs quite well in antivirus detection, it just depends on which website you look at - it detects some types of virus much better than other programs.

That being said, I agree that AVG is very good. My favourite has to be NOD32 though - very small footprint, excellent detection rate.